What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese Practice Grenade

Millsman

Premium Member
Bought this the other day with a collection of other Japanese WW2 stuff.

Never seen one before so they must be a bit scarce.

DSCN0880.jpg

The holes where the pin would go do not go right through so seem to be just for show.

Said to be ceramic but may be just a lump of baked clay rather than anything better.

Thought it might be of interest.

I have this grenade too. I drilled the holes out where the wire had rusted out and made a pull pin with a string attached. I have seen two different diameters for this grenade but only bought one example for my collection. The other was about 6mm larger in the body. I thought it was ceramic?
I guess it is a practice for the Kiska grenade but have never seen reference diagrams.
My photo would not show any differences to yours. Ron.

Perhaps only 3mm larger in diameter but definitely looked larger than the one I bought. It was also 3 years ago so I am a bit vague now on the differences.
It is still not a common item.

Hi. That’s a great looking practice grenade. Most that turn up seem to be ground recovered examples from mainland Japan and have the remains of iron pull pins blocking the holes. I display mine next to my Type 23, as the look and dimensions are a good match. Of course having a traditional styled pull pin means it would be no good for practice in using the T23. Cheers

Attachments

• E305BD4C-BF16-4B79-ACFC-31B44D35AB3D.jpg
    E305BD4C-BF16-4B79-ACFC-31B44D35AB3D.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 49
Qh8Bf99OSKO3MwEvc+bGmw_thumb_4ca.jpgHere is both sizes of this practice grenade.
Small. 95.5mm long. 49/53mm body diameter.
Large. 99.0mm long. 52/57mm body diameter.
Both are not perfectly round.

Hi Folks,

This training grenade is an Imperial Japanese Army Type 99 Ceramic Training Grenade introduced into service in 1939.

This information is not available in the English but is what I gleaned from Japanese language websites.

There were quite a few different training grenades and they even had sand filled cast iron versions where the weight could be adjusted for grenade throwing practice in schools.

Cheers,
Robert

Cast Iron Training Grenade filled with a metal alloy used in Japanese public schools for grenade trowing and physical fitness tests. It was made by Mizuno Corporation. Stamped characters read 体力章検定規格手榴弾 美津濃 謹製 "Physical strength design approved hand grenade. Mizuno Corporation. Quality product".

000211 Cast Iron Training Grenade for Japanese public schools made by Mizuno Corporation .jpg000211a Cast Iron Training Grenade for Japanese public schools made by Mizuno Corporation .jpg

Last edited:
Another Japanese Public Schools Cast Iron Training Grenade similar to the above but hollow with wooden plug to allow for weight adjustment. Sand filled. Manufacturer unknown.

000212 Cast Japanese Public Schools Training Grenade .jpg

Imperial Japanese Army Ceramic Practice Grenade pre 1939. Has been moulded and marked with the IJA Star. This practice grenade was made by Shigaraki Industrial Association.

000209 IJA Ceramic Practice Grenade pre 1939 .JPG

This is another Japanese training grenade that you don't see very often. The body is empty and the fuse stem is a solid piece of brass that has been machined.Vaughn

Attachments

• IMG_1285.jpg
    IMG_1285.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1288.jpg
    IMG_1288.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 31
I am not sure, William. I have talked to several Japanese ordinance collectors and they all vary. Some say yes, and others are not sure. Vaughn

Very nice practice fuzes. Here’s a couple that came out of China, so I assume they’re early/pre war ones. One is solid steel and the other is hollow brass. Cheers

Attachments

• 58EB250B-ED6B-4A5F-9C7F-B6AA0F3798B2.jpg
    58EB250B-ED6B-4A5F-9C7F-B6AA0F3798B2.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 83287898-1296-42D3-A359-A074B6E238A5.jpg
    83287898-1296-42D3-A359-A074B6E238A5.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 13
Hi John;
Yes it is pre war 1939. I talked to an expert and he said " That it is a " Kiska" hand and rifle grenade model 99 (1939). What is unusual is that it has a dummy training fuse. The fuse may not be original to the grenade but all the parts seem original. The grenade body is a service grenade not a training grenade body. The two seem to have been together a long time. Kiska grenades are fairly common. Training fuses are scarce. The kiska grenade got its name as it was first found on Kiska island in the Aleutian Islands in 1942. The model 99 grenade has a ring around the fuse. That is to protect the person holding it. As the fuse burns the flame is diverted by the ring and does not reach the hand. " Vaughn

Attachments

• IMG_1289.jpg
    IMG_1289.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 6
Keep in mind that Pearl Harbor was the start of WWII only for the US. Poland, Czechoslovakia and China (among others) might disagree with your definition of "pre-War".