What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWII? 75mm projectile

94thFS95

Premium Member
Hello all,
Does anyone recognize this 75mm projectile? Solid base, no stamps at all. I can’t find a reference for it, and I’m only assuming it’s US WWII. It has a removable adapter section that looks like it would take a standard size fuse, but as it is now it has an M52 in it, which I doubt was intended. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I’d like to restore it, put it in a correct case (whatever that would be?) and put the correct fuse in it.
Thanks!
-Steve
8973A4FE-7108-4AF8-BAA7-B46934D02D7E.jpg

So, you won that eBay auction with four shells. I did not bid as that is the projectile I desired, but it is weird. It looks like an M42 76mm HE, but it is not. An M52 mortar fuse should not fit an M42 projectile. That is why I did not bid.

It is most likely a 3 inch Mark IX HE, which was the predecessor to the M42. It would fit 2 different cases, the mobile AAA case and the fixed AAA case (there are two lengths for each of those cases, and it goes in the shorter of each due to its rotating band width.

Last edited:
It is most likely a 3 inch Mark IX HE, which was the predecessor to the M42. It would fit 2 different cases, the mobile AAA case and the fixed AAA case (there are two lengths for each of those cases, and it goes in the shorter of each due to its rotating band width.

Hello,
Do you have more informations on this 3 inch Mark IX HE ? (Diagram, fuzing, era...)
Thank you

I will see what I can find Sebastian. It is on Page 446 of TM 9-1904 Ammunition Inspectors Guide. I think that manual is here on BOCN, but not positive. That has important info about the 3 inch conversion from WWI to WWII projectiles and case combinations.

Attachments

• IMG_7128.jpg
    IMG_7128.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited: