What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French 37x94mm 1940 ?

earni74

Premium Member
017.jpg014.jpg013.jpg012.jpg011.jpg010.jpg009.jpg008.jpgCan anyone confirm this projectile is dated 8-1940, the case has been reloaded 8 times and has a long flash tube which points to being sub calibre
Thanks

they had moved on to more modern projectiles since this model. With 8 plus original firings, the case must have been used for practice. This must have been loaded with an old projectile, or the date on the projectile was added later. Strange things happen?

37 model 16 was still in service in ww2.
Described in a 30's french doc (pic1) and in a ww2 german doc (captured ammo).
Don't know if marking 1940 on the fuze is a date or a code.
Look at the lower band on the 30's french doc (we talked about it in a previous post).
Regards

37.jpg37 germ.jpg

Thanks to you both, I have concluded the projectile is of ww1 vintage
Thanks
Mick

Ignoring the projectile, I have never seen the '85' and '18' date barred out on one of these cases before and I must have seen hundreds of the cases. Similarly with the reloading marks. Can anyone offer why, other than it is to indicate date? I didn't realise that the French punch stamped their cases to indicate reloading.

Hi D
Its the first French case I have with dot punch reloading marks, I think I have a couple of German cases dot punched
Mick

I didn't want to jump to conclusions Mick but I wondered if this case was German used. Similar punch marks appear on German cases, either there or on the outer rim.