What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Primer removal tool

Fred

I recently acquired this tool. Its marked AEWB 37 1973 and clearly labelled as a universal primer tool. I was wondering has anyone encountered one before and would it have any accessories.
pt2.jpg

Fred

Sorry, I don't have another photo handy. It has three sets of holes to accept pairs of pins with different spacings. The knurled knobs retain three adjustable blocks which lock the device onto the cartridge rim. Really I was wondering if there should be any other parts or accessories. I'm assuming it would have been supplied in a kit. Its a nice item and well engineered for its purpose.
fred

This is an older type of Key Primer Universal with pairs of pins. Later primers have four equi-spaced holes. The first I saw of these primers was with the 'L' series which started about the time of the Round 105mm L7 tank gun and the Cartridge 105mm How Mk2 system.
The keys are used in Ammunition Process Buildings in Ammunition Depots where you have the right safety measures and associated tilltable hydraulic clamps.
They come with the various pins which are different diameters. 40mm primer pins are relatively smaller than 25 pounder pins. The pins have flats so they can easily be removed with a spanner. There would be sufficient keys in the stores to ask for one already fitted up relative to the job in hand.
To set up for use on a production line, clamp a cartridge case, slacken the sliding brass blocks, locate the key on the primer, slide in the blocks then tighten. Ensure that the blocks are set to present the flat surface to the cartridge rim. To have it under the rim would slow production. Any stuck fast primered cartridges are put to one side, then when there are enough, turn the blocks round so that they go under the rim and apply a lot of pressure, knowing that the pins cannot come out damaging the primer holes.