What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10,5cm Ex. case for the lFH98/09

Dandebur

Hello
I want to share you the last addition in the collection: my second case of 10,5cm Ex. case for the lFH 98/09.
It is shorter than the normal case 87mm vs 92 mm and lighter 720 g ( with the cover ) vs 970 g ( mesured for one examplary). The normal case was closed with a lid in cardboard that the crew had to remove for choosing the number of bags of powder in accordance with the target to reach.Here this lid is remplaced by a cover in brass with a handle for removing it. Two rails rivetted in the case and two other on the cover hold firm it in place. An arrow and the letters "AUF" indicate in which direction a quarter turn permits to remove it.A stud at the end of one of the rails on the cover prevents to turn in the other direction. The primer is remplaced by a material which looks like rubber. 10,5Ex-1.jpg10,5Ex-2.jpg10,5Ex-3.jpg10,5Ex-4.jpgI assume the case contained bags of inert material in place of powder, the gunner apprentice had to choose the number of them before simulating a firing.
The stamping: This case seems to be issued of the normal line of production of GG, lot 41 MAI 1912 and acceptance mark GG5. It is probably AWS which had converted it in an Ex model, and added the number 73, the letters Ex. and its acceptance mark AWS20. Note that the cover has the mark AWS10 on the upper side and AWS 20 on the internal side.
I shall share my another case in a reply.
Regards,
Dandebur.

everything in your description is correct :top:

One F.H. battery was equipped with 72 such "Ex. Kart. 98". This modernized type was introduced in June 1902.

Hello.
Thanks Alpini for those very interesting informations. I appreciate.
I share my other case, I found it about thirty years ago at the beginning of my collection.
It has been made by PFK in sept 1899, so it is very early. The two examples are, to my sence, absolutely identical. The only difference I can see is that on the case made by PFK the holes at the primer ( I don't know the English word) are pierced unlike on the one made by GG.
The headstamp: no lot number, the acceptance mark crown Ke overstamped by Ex. and a large V. No stamping on the cover.
Regards,
Dandebur.10,5Ex-5.jpg10,5Ex-6.jpg10,5Ex-7.jpg

This case was converted twice, it was a "Verpackungs-" case before they made an "Exerzier-" case from it. Very nice! For both "Ex" and "Vp" cases production rejects of the normal production had to be used if available. The "Verpackungs"-cases were used by the factories which produced the wooden ammunition boxes.

Hello.
Many thanks Alpini for those very interesting informations. I am very glad to know the meaning of the V. in the stamping.
Regards,
Dandebur.