What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40 mm Bofors Question.

Andy Naude

Received these 40 mm Bofors rounds recently. When I received the first I thought it was a home-made replica, but then I received the second (which came from a batch of two), I started wondering if these had any sort of legitimacy in my drill round collection.

The two items, now with me, came from two very different sources. All seem to come from the same era, 1942 and all have similar neck crimping. They have all been weighted.

Please let me know if you have seen similar 40 mm Bofors Drill rounds.

IMG_0477.JPGIMG_0476.JPGIMG_0474.JPGIMG_0470.JPG

The wooden drill mentioned by Darkman is in my collection.
I checked the case dimensions with a caliper and an unfired Bofors round. I say it was resized as dimensions fit nicely.
The projectile seems to run full length of the case. I cannot unscrew the primer but a solid sound and not a hollow ring sound when struck.
I guess it is a local Drill round as suggested but nice with arrow and date on the wooden projectile.