What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWII German 75mm Sprgr 39 and 39/42 High Explosive Projectiles

M8owner

So far, a 75mm Sprgr 39 for the KwK 42 cannon in the Panther tank as eluded my grasp. My plan is to convert a standard 39 into a 39/42 model by adding a driving band. May I request side by side comparison drawings of the two projectiles? I assume the two models have the same overall length and location of the lower driving band? Will this idea work? I have several spare projectiles for this project.

Hi,
the correct designation of the HE shels is 7,5 cm Sprgr. 34, for PAK and KwK 40, and 7,5 cm Sprgr 42 for KwK 42.
The only picture I could quickly find is this one.

Bob

Attachments

• 397.jpg
    397.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 74
I found the dimensions.
Sorry, could not find it with normal measurement units, only with the ancient ones. :wink:
I am sure You can do something with it.

Merry Christmas,

Bob

Attachments

• 75mm sprgr 42.jpg
    75mm sprgr 42.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 82
Thank you for your help, Bob. The two projectiles are the same length. I will continue with this project.

These pictures might help you. The lower driving band is identical to the FES driving band of the Sprgr 34. The upper driving band has a somewhat different shape.

Attachments

• 7,5 cm Sprgr 42.jpg
    7,5 cm Sprgr 42.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 80
  • db 7,5 cm.JPG
    db 7,5 cm.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I made two. Seen next to a standard Sprgr 34.

Attachments

• 75mm KwK 42 Sprgr 34.jpg
    75mm KwK 42 Sprgr 34.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 62
I have more than two now, so I decided to try turning one down on the lathe and polishing it. The restored projectile is seen next to a similar unrestored example.

Attachments

• restored KwK 42 Sprgr.jpg
    restored KwK 42 Sprgr.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 47
Hi,
the finish is too smooth. On the originals you can clearly see the lathe markings.
Polishing in a wartime manufacture is not practical.

But I think it is O.K. for display :)

Cheers, Bob

Fantastic job Steve, but i also agree with Bob
Get your worst lathe bit and out a feed of about .75-1mm per rev and make it look like you were in a rush ! ;-)

nicely done
Rich

I agree with you Bob and Rich. The challenge is the curve of the nose. I cannot turn that by hand. The nose is done with a file mainly - lots of filing. So, I can leave it looking filed - that does not look like a turned surface. Or, I can polish it with sand paper. I chose to polish it. And, once you start, you have to do the whole thing - I have to do the whole thing. So many personality defects - if only you saw the complete list.