What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help ID old projo found in waters by Qatar

weberoed

Ordnance approved
received_237467280486204.jpegreceived_1188400431322643.jpegreceived_270781850273807.jpegreceived_382053189008853.jpegreceived_936968523176423.jpeg Need an ID on this old projectile, found in waters off of Qatar, approx 8" dia and 20" long, note the rounded boattail, and the keys from where rotating bands were attached. There is a whole in the middle of the projectile that is reported as a hole for a plug, so not sure what it is. Was not from a shaped charge for sure.

The style of seating for driving band makes it almost certainly British.
I make it about 6 3/4" in diameter. (allowing for parallax poss. 6")
I think the shape of the base is due to abuse, it certainly wasn't manufactured like this.
The hole was probably for a lifting eye or similar, not something approved by the Ordnance Board, but a local modification made post firing.

I'm currently looking for 6" shot without much success.

TimG

Last edited:
Its possible that it also originally had a pointed nose and flat base, as i have seen similar projectiles where the point and the base (maybe treated differently or part of the forming process?) had rounded off by rust flaking.