What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PIAT practice round dimensions

I believe there are about 4 or 5 fuzes for the PIAT, the area i found these had loads of empty fuse holders 3 types mazak and tin holders, plus the dummy transit fuzes that are fitted to the nose of the bomb which is thrown away and armed with a live fuze contained in the holder clipped to the tail. Also found are loads of base parts that eject out of the base of the fuse. The area funny enough was a Canadian 2" mortar and PIAT range near a Canadian camp here in the UK. The Target was a Ram tank long gone. I did find a 1/4 inch bit of armoured plate with a PIAT hole in it. I will get a pic of it.

That could be interesting to see. I know of 2 fuzes for it. The original that was known for being good at bouncing off of tanks, which I saw documentation talking about a Canadian crew firing 3 piat bombs at a German tank and having all three bounce off before having the tank fire at them and kill them. This was fixed in the second version of the fuze.
Also saw documentation of a warning sent out of piat bombs exploding in the launcher because of fuzes being handled roughly, and arming in the same way that they would normally arm on firing. Which meant that the firing of the bomb now set off the already armed fuze.
I should look up the documentation again and download it. As I was looking for technical info, I just breezed over the info.

Here are the pics of the 1/4 armoured plate recovered from the target area, you can see the two half holes the PIAT made.

Attachments

• A6FFAFE2-5985-421C-AF2E-3B7568312D32.jpg
    A6FFAFE2-5985-421C-AF2E-3B7568312D32.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 27
  • FF0D67B1-54B5-4A76-948C-F8F6FBF557E2.jpg
    FF0D67B1-54B5-4A76-948C-F8F6FBF557E2.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 25
Looking at your line up of fuze containers there is a much smaller one.

I have one, the one on the right, with the dummy fuze, don't have the larger dummy fuze for larger container. The fourth one would be of steel. The large and medium sized holder would use the same spring clip attached to the tail, There is a smaller clip but the ones i found were rusted.

Attachments

• 190E02D3-5821-4829-BF7F-5C93B7E51221.jpg
    190E02D3-5821-4829-BF7F-5C93B7E51221.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 33B3206C-60B3-4DB3-8827-3B6A84FD7242.jpg
    33B3206C-60B3-4DB3-8827-3B6A84FD7242.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 27
nice selection so I have the dummy fuse I seem to recall now I did have one have once. sold all my spares to Jay from Mlitary man a few years back

Is the dummy fuze for the fat container different, never found one. Not sure the differences between live fuzes and the order of dates when the types were first used and discontinued, i wondered if there was some kind of history to them. I also noticed that the sealing tape around the fuze container is coloured, sone in red as compared to buff or white coloured. Anyone know.

I have one, the one on the right, with the dummy fuze, don't have the larger dummy fuze for larger container. The fourth one would be of steel. The large and medium sized holder would use the same spring clip attached to the tail, There is a smaller clip but the ones i found were rusted.

As you have a dummy 425 fuse there (middle) would the larger one be for a dummy 426 fuse?

Not sure need a bit if history about them

Note much history to give.
The 425 was a DA fuse and was found to work about 75% of the time agaisnt armour. So the 426 was created which worked as both DA and percussion. The main visual difference being the 426 had a domed top, Vs the flat top on the 425.
There was also a change in how they were fitted to the PIAT round, with the bomb needing an adaptor to mount the 426 on intermediary stage rounds. Later rounds were all designed to have the 426.

Although a popular bit of WW2 British kit, not much is known about the details of the fuzes, containers, clips, bomb markings etc etc. Any references to knowledge yourself up on.

Although a popular bit of WW2 British kit, not much is known about the details of the fuzes, containers, clips, bomb markings etc etc. Any references to knowledge yourself up on.

Best I can do for you:
Bomb: Green in colour, red crosses around the body.
Drill: Black in colour, marked Drill in white letters. Issued with a drill fuse but not cartridged. Tail tubed plugged.
Inert bomb: Black with yellow ring around body marked Inert.

Bomb carriers: marked with white (Drill) or yellow (Inert) or Red crosses (Live) in a band dependent on type of bomb inside.