Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    I believe there are about 4 or 5 fuzes for the PIAT, the area i found these had loads of empty fuse holders 3 types mazak and tin holders, plus the dummy transit fuzes that are fitted to the nose of the bomb which is thrown away and armed with a live fuze contained in the holder clipped to the tail. Also found are loads of base parts that eject out of the base of the fuse. The area funny enough was a Canadian 2" mortar and PIAT range near a Canadian camp here in the UK. The Target was a Ram tank long gone. I did find a 1/4 inch bit of armoured plate with a PIAT hole in it. I will get a pic of it.

Thanks
    That could be interesting to see. I know of 2 fuzes for it. The original that was known for being good at bouncing off of tanks, which I saw documentation talking about a Canadian crew firing 3 piat bombs at a German tank and having all three bounce off before having the tank fire at them and kill them. This was fixed in the second version of the fuze.
    Also saw documentation of a warning sent out of piat bombs exploding in the launcher because of fuzes being handled roughly, and arming in the same way that they would normally arm on firing. Which meant that the firing of the bomb now set off the already armed fuze.
    I should look up the documentation again and download it. As I was looking for technical info, I just breezed over the info.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Here are the pics of the 1/4 armoured plate recovered from the target area, you can see the two half holes the PIAT made.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BMG50 For This Useful Post:

Stray (25th March 2020)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to millsbomber For This Useful Post:

BMG50 (25th March 2020), proditto (26th March 2020), Stray (26th March 2020)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123