What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.303 stoppage blanks.

Shawy

Hi can anyone help me with these .303 blanks. I bough these two at an ECRA meet in 2009. I was told they were stoppage blanks for the Lewis & Bren. I'm not too sure. Can anyone help. The Bren rnd has a black wood projectile and the Lewis a light green projectile. Both made by Kynoch in the 50s? Any help would be appreciated. Shawy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 97
An educated guess would be Commercial-Theatrical or Overseas customers for bulleted blank. Both the Bren and Lewis are gas operated and the Bren certainly required something to pass up the barrel, in order for the action to further function. The Bren had a special barrel with an attachment that half obscured the bore and would destroy the wooden projectile almost immediately after leaving the barrel. Presumably there was a similar barrel for the Lewis.

TimG

Last edited:
There both military I'm sure. As far as I know they were for practicing stoppages and jams. Wouldn't mind but Tony's E was there just didn't get chance to chat with him. Shawy.

There's nothing on the headstamps to suggest they're UK military. Bulleted blank is necessary for the Bren to operate, when firing blanks.

TimG

Last edited:
Sorry Shawy but I would also agree with the above - these are most definitely movie blanks. I believe they differ from the military issue in that they are intended to produce the maximum noise/smoke/flash for their intended weapon. Jim

Thanks for the info chaps. I can now correct my files and add 2 more to my "got"list. Will be asking a few more IDs in the next couple of weeks. Just starting to get back into my collection after a few years out. Once again a big thanks. Shawy.

There both military I'm sure. As far as I know they were for practicing stoppages and jams. Wouldn't mind but Tony's E was there just didn't get chance to chat with him. Shawy.

.......also I don't think you'll find TonyE was there as he 'passed away' several years ago now!

Tony

Hi tony. I don't wish to get involved in arguments and I don't wish to be called a liar. All I can hope is you misread my post. I was at barton in 2009 and Tony Edwards was there along with Anthony williams. Regards shawy

Shawy, I am sure Tony missed the bit in your post about it being in 2009. I have quite a few of these and they are Commercial movie blanks based on the Blank L Mk10z, there are quite a few different colour's from plain right up to dark blue almost black. I got quite a few of mine from Tony Edwards collection but The info I have on these came from Tony before he passed away and also I have all his paperwork and notes. They are still great collectors rounds and another part of the .303 history, you will find them with LEWIS, BREN & VICKERS on headstamp.

all the best
Richard.

Hi Richard,I can't remember the name of the guy I bought them off that day but I now know they are movie blanks. I've been collecting since I was thirteen an I'm sixty one now so a few years I think. Most of my collection is .303 with a few foreign rnds an a bit of hmg mixed in. Will be posting a few soon and some I'm not sure off. Hope to get to know you better as we're not to far away from each other. Regards Shawy

Hi tony. I don't wish to get involved in arguments and I don't wish to be called a liar. All I can hope is you misread my post. I was at barton in 2009 and Tony Edwards was there along with Anthony williams. Regards shawy

Hi Shawy, yes I did misread your original post and I apologise to you for that.

Tony

Why cant I send a PM to Shawy ?????? I dont have a function to send a PM anymore. Shawy can you email me please

Rich