What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8" /55 Largest automatic gun

Slick

I watch a lot of these old military training films. Few compare to this explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8XRDipD0EU

I stood on the fantail of an old(built 1944), now scrapped, CLG and watched/heard/felt the blast from a 3 gun salvo of 6"/47, a mere 500 or so feet away. The 8" would have been even more spectacular. I never got farther inside the turret beyond sticking my head up through an access hatch.
This film would be a good candidate for colorization.
Somewhere early on this refers to it being the largest caliber automatic gun. An impressive piece of machinery.

Years ago I found an 8" QF brass case in a junk yard....I found an Army 8" shell, stuck it in, carried it over to the FT Worth gun show for sale....well, at opening a senior gentleman walked past and offered me $5k even for it, did not even ask what my selling price was....turns out he was the owner of Lucky Lady oil company, or so his check said, I delivered it to his storage center in downtown Dallas.....he had a Sherman and an M48 tank inside, wish I never sold it....

I would think that you would need them all and very well trained to keep it going if someone shot back at you.

So many moving parts. I suppose maintenance is not an issue with so many idle hands at sea.

Idle hands generally caught the attention of the Chief. Lots of dirty jobs on a ship. Slackers and disciplinary cases generally got to tend to those. Napping was never an option.