Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
    Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 497 Posts

8" /55 Largest automatic gun

I watch a lot of these old military training films. Few compare to this explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8XRDipD0EU

I stood on the fantail of an old(built 1944), now scrapped, CLG and watched/heard/felt the blast from a 3 gun salvo of 6"/47, a mere 500 or so feet away. The 8" would have been even more spectacular. I never got farther inside the turret beyond sticking my head up through an access hatch.
    This film would be a good candidate for colorization.
    Somewhere early on this refers to it being the largest caliber automatic gun. An impressive piece of machinery.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Slick For This Useful Post:

917601 (1st January 2019), AE501 (1st January 2019), BMG50 (2nd January 2019), Gspragge (3rd January 2019), HAZORD (1st January 2019), sksvlad (1st January 2019), Weasel (1st January 2019)

Thanks
    Years ago I found an 8" QF brass case in a junk yard....I found an Army 8" shell, stuck it in, carried it over to the FT Worth gun show for sale....well, at opening a senior gentleman walked past and offered me $5k even for it, did not even ask what my selling price was....turns out he was the owner of Lucky Lady oil company, or so his check said, I delivered it to his storage center in downtown Dallas.....he had a Sherman and an M48 tank inside, wish I never sold it....

Images
    Thanks
    So many moving parts. I suppose maintenance is not an issue with so many idle hands at sea.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    I would think that you would need them all and very well trained to keep it going if someone shot back at you.

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M8owner View Post
    So many moving parts. I suppose maintenance is not an issue with so many idle hands at sea.
    Idle hands generally caught the attention of the Chief. Lots of dirty jobs on a ship. Slackers and disciplinary cases generally got to tend to those. Napping was never an option.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.