What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1942 155G M101 restoration

Posting pics and method I used to restore my 155G Long Tom shell. I used stencils by Questmaster. As it is following the ogive, I had to cut the stencil into seperate pieces. Before cutting, I drew a line fore to aft marking the center line of the stencil, it made application easier. Pics show step by step. Lastly, I used the correct Federal Standard color, FS 33538 ( yellow), however I do not like fresh , crisp new looking paint. So...I have rust I made, ( from steel wool) and after one hour rub with Schotchbrite pad the rust into the soft paint. It ages the lettering, brings down the high spots and makes it a good imitation of an aged inked marking. I also use it on the OD. My technique, others may like the " new" look, but since it is 1942 dated, I like the old look. See pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    198.6 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    187.2 KB · Views: 40
A close up of the weight marking, notice the lathe turning marks on the shell, I had to keep the paint real thin and light. After a month or so I will rub the entire shell with the rust and Scotchbrite.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 29