What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

contractors mark on large calibre shell

starshell

Premium Member
Hi all,

Just in the process of cleaning up a large British heavy howitzer shell, WW1 period, and have discovered the contractors stamp on the base along with a lot No.
I know its not a lot to go on, but would anyone have an idea of who this company would be?
Although partly rusted away, the stamp reads D*AN*LER. ???

I think it begins with the letter 'D', but could be wrong, it may be an 'S;. Also, the 'L' might be an 'F'.
The asterisks denote an illegible letter.
Again, a bit of a long shot, but any help would be gratefully recieved.
Cheers!

Hi Tim,
Despite trying, my camera isn't good enough to pick up the marks. They are pretty feint, possibly too feint.
However, further scrubbing has found the letters CO below. These letters are sharp and slightly larger then the contractors stamp.
I'm afraid I've got no more to offer than that.
Many thanks.

have you tried dusting the marks with talc and carefully wiping to remove it from the higher surface, often helps show marking for photos

Thanks Tim,

Judging by the letter spacing and a bit more investigation, it seems that would fit. Do you know much about Daimler insofar as which shells they were contracted to make? Was it just larger calibre stuff they took on? Many thanks in advance!

2pounder: Thanks for that tip. I shall try it out and hopefully get a decent pic! Watch this space...

Starshell,

Daimler certainly made 12-in Howitzer HE of various marks, at 1,000-1,500 per week from mid 1916 to 1918. Is your shell a 12"?

Tom.

Thanks Tim,

Judging by the letter spacing and a bit more investigation, it seems that would fit. Do you know much about Daimler insofar as which shells they were contracted to make? Was it just larger calibre stuff they took on? Many thanks in advance!

2pounder: Thanks for that tip. I shall try it out and hopefully get a decent pic! Watch this space...

A record of the work of BSA and Daimler is in Munitions of War, compiled by George Frost. There are some nice images of large shell production and mention of 12-inch. Also there is a comment "From an engineering point of view the manufacture of 12-inch shell is uninteresting...". You might disagree.

The book is worth getting hold of if you can find an inexpensive copy. It might be available on the Internet Archive or similar.

Starshell,

Daimler certainly made 12-in Howitzer HE of various marks, at 1,000-1,500 per week from mid 1916 to 1918. Is your shell a 12"?

Tom.

Many thanks for the info Tom. Yes, its a 12", the latest addition and one that has been in the pipeline for a long, long, time....
One I almost missed out on. I was hoping to reveal the date of manufacture, but sadly she's too far gone on the base
I'll post some pics soon.

Hi Bonnex,

Many thanks for the information. Its a book I will certainly pursue, early shell manufacture is an area I have a lot of interest in so appreciate the heads up, thank you.
I thought I'd struggle with any info on these heavy calibre pieces, but the responses here have been fantastic. Thanks guys, much appreciated.
And further to Snufkin's coment: 1000-1500 shells produced a week! Struggling to get my head around that figure. Staggering output indeed. Is there any information available to suggest what a single 12" HE shell might have cost to produce during the war years?
Cheers

Last edited:
Is there any information available to suggest what a single 12" HE shell might have cost to produce during the war years?

The attached, showing War Office orders before the creation of the Ministry of Munitions, i.e. pre June 1915, gives a cost from Armstrong Whitworth (EOC) of £22.12.6 each for Lyddite filled HE, and £22.19.0 from Vickers Ltd (VSM). These figures are the selling prices to the War Office, the total of cost of production plus profit, and dropped as the war progressed and the Ministry negotiated the prices down.

Tom.

Attachments

• 12-in How.jpg
    12-in How.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 25
Many thanks Tom,

Very interesting document, especially the plant cost advance details.
If my guesstimate is relatively close, each shell would have cost around £2,150 in today's money?
Thanks again, great piece of info.

Dylan

IMG_3130.jpgIMG_2947.jpgIMG_3125.jpgIMG_3126.jpg

Hi all,

Pics of the 12" HE as promised.
Managed to finally get a fairly good image of the 'DAIMLER' stamp on the base. Four days of cleaning the driving band, 2 days cleaning the body, and 3 days finding ways to lift it into the house.
Very nice shell, but a logistical headache!
Enjoy the pics!
Cheers.