What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identifying Makers of Primer Protection Clips.

Hi all,I've got a No35 if anyone wants it pm me and I'll post it to you. Regards Shawy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
ALCO - Is the American Locomotive Company. However, I would be surprised if it is their work, as they seemed to have sub-contracted all their Ministry of Supply work.

TimG

Here's one for you, 18 pdr HE cartridge clip, possibly WW2 era and maybe Australian made. It was found on a 1939 dated Australian made (MF) Mk 4 18 pdr case. The brass on the case under the clip was very shiny, so it had been on there for many years. Marked PRESTEL (Mk) 4 No 1 broad arrow. Any information appreciated.
Cheers, Graeme

Attachments

• IMG_3662.JPG
    IMG_3662.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3663.JPG
    IMG_3663.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3664.JPG
    IMG_3664.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 23
PRESTEL - Jinks & Morgan Pty., Ltd. - Port Melbourne, Australia. Previously (circa 1918) 28, O'Shanassy Street, North Melbourne, when they made cap badges.

See https://www.legislation.gov.au/file/1940GN69

Search on "Jinks"

TD Co - Was the monogram of the Tinplate Decorating Company, Neath, Wales - which rather puts paid to the possibility of it being Canadian.

TimG

Last edited:
Bloody hell Tim you’re amazing! I can understand that you’re an oracle on the British manufacturers by researching the old wartime contracts at the PRO, but how are you also an expert on US, Canadian and Australian makers???!!!! I did a few internet searches on PRESTEL and turned up nothing. Thanks a lot.

Graeme,

I wish, more aspiring student.

FLIT ZIP - P. Tyralla Ltd., Stanhope Works, 19/20 Clerkenwell Close, London. EC1. I've no idea what their normal trade was, they also made model mines.

TimG

Does anybody know what calibre the No. 4 primer protector clip is for? I have one but don't see it mentioned at all in this thread.

Cheers,
Robert

Does anybody know what calibre the No. 4 primer protector clip is for? I have one but don't see it mentioned at all in this thread.

Cheers,
Robert

Hi Robert,

My Australian made 18 pdr cartridge clip has "No. 4 I" stamped on it, so I presume No. 4 is for 18 pounders.

Can you put a photo on for verification?

Regards,

Graeme

18Pr Clip Specs b.jpg18Pr Clip Specs a.jpgSome interesting data about production and testing 18Pr clips. From "Shrapnel Shell Production" by Douglas Hamilton 1915.