What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identifying Makers of Primer Protection Clips.

No 5 is for 3" 20 cwt
No 17 is for 2 pr HV
Here's some of mine.
IMG_20190108_092503169~2.jpgIMG_20190108_092520437~2.jpgIMG_20190108_092539900.jpgIMG_20190108_092556881~2.jpgIMG_20190108_092612976~2.jpgIMG_20190108_092636688.jpg
No 45 for 20 pr
No 9 for 13 pr or 3" Howitzer by ESS.
No 36 for 6 pr 7 cwt with odd makes monogram.
No 30 for 2 pr by FLIT ZIP!
No 35 for 75mm by BPW
Marked for 3" 20 CWT but not marked as a No 5 by ESS.

According to the previously posted chart, my no 45 was from a 105, rather than a 20 pr but I found it amongst others in the bottom of a 20 pr armed tank! Obviously, 105 was a derivation of the 20 pr so a degree of overlap would perhaps result in later clips being used.

Other ones I have listed are :-
No 12 for Hotchkiss 6 pr
No 16 for 2 pr Mk V
No 18 for 1 1/2 pr Mk III and IV
No 26 for 6 pr 10 cwt
No 27 for 3" 20 cwt (4 legs)
No 29 for 95mm Howitzer

No50 Mk1 b.jpgNo50 Mk1.jpgA final bit of information and 2 photos I copied from old BOCN threads (thanks).
The clip No50 Mk1 & Mk4 is for which 105mm case?
My clip L2A1 is for the 105mm FD How.
I found clips No36 & No42 are both for the 6Pr 7Cwt.
Which clip was used with the M14 105mm case?

Hello.
I don't particulary search for Primer Protection Clips, I take them when there are in a lot or very cheap on flea markets. I have around twenty clips for 18Pr and one for 13 Pr. The majority are going out the ground. They are not put away so I share today four, kept separate. For the others, I will take pictures of the different makers and post them as soon as possible.
1: 13Pr BP Co Ltd ( I think , by reading the previous posts, it is British Pen )
2: With the web lifting loop ESS D
3: Also NECo C10 ( I think Canadian )
4: IP Co. It has been given to me by a neighbour, it is with a ring. I don't know if it is authentic.
Regards,
Dandebur.
0.jpg1.jpg2.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

BP Co., Ltd - Bodill, Parker & Co., Ltd., Albion Works, Birmingham.
ESS - E. Showell & Sons, Stirchley, Birmingham.
NEC - Northern Electric Company, Canada.
IP Co. - It's Indian, but who made it I don't know.

TimG

Hello.
Here are the makers I have about Primer Protection Clips for 18Pr. Some are well known: ALCO, BSC, RL, VSM, but I share all I have.
6: ALCO S in a square.
7: BSC S in a square.
8: ESS G
9: HE trade 8 mark . The logo between trade and mark looks like a 8 not closed.
10: H&M
11: M&C c36
12: MS c37
13: MS c58
14: RL
15 S in a pitcher not closed
16: TD C° c29
17 VSM A
I have another two but I have not found them: ESS H and WRB&Co Ltd.
Regards,
Dandebur.6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg

6. - Scovill Manufacturing sub-contracted by American Locomotive Company.
7. - Scovill Manufacturing sub-contracted by Bethlehem Steel Company.
8. - Edward Showell & Sons, Birmingham (significance of 'G' not known)
9. - Not known to me
10. - Not known to me
11. - Not known to me
12. - Not known to me
13. - Not known to me
14. - Royal Laboratories (Woolwich Arsenal)
15. - Not known to me
16. - Not known to me
17. - Vickers Ltd, Ward End, Birmingham, the Broad Arrow within a lozenge denotes it was destined for, or had been, Egyptian Army (British)

TimG

Last edited:
H&M - Hague and McKenzie, 36 Ban Street, Birmingham.

HE (and chain links (?) being forged to make letter E) - possibly Hulburd's Engineering Co, Kingsland Road, London, E2. Listed as making cartridge clips.

TDCo. - possibly Thomas Dukes and Co., Wolverhampton. Listed as making, and having confirmed orders for, stamped components such as 18pr Shrapnel discs.

Tom.

Thanks TimG and Tom for the identifications.
To my sence, the makers M&C, MS and TDCo are Canadian, due to the presence of the crossed C with a number. For me it is the mark of a Canadian inspector. For example NECo made also primers II ( stamped only II and not N°I / II ) with the symbol " crossed C 115 ".

Dandebur,

I think you may well be correct. I've looked through the list of Canadian suppliers and alas, can find no information.

The Indian clip - IP Co, I'm sure is connected to Cossipore Shell Factory (the "Co") but I can't figure out the IP.

TimG

Dandebur, looking at the clip again I agree with you, that TDCo does appear to be Canadian.

Edit: as Tim has just pointed out.

Tom.

Last edited:
Tim,

"IP" is sometimes used to indicate "India Pattern", where items locally produced vary in some particulars from their British-made counterparts.

Roger.

Thank you very much Roger.
So it is possible that the clip stamped IP with the ring is authentic. The Indian-made could be different from the British-made.
Dandebur.

18Pr BSC & India.jpgThe IP with a ring looks odd. I think the IP means the Indian Pattern with the flattened centre section that does not seem to be used by British makers?
I copy a previous photo from BOCN which compares these clips.
Also the photo from tankbarrel was not identified. Who is FLIT ZIP and RENT as clip makers?

Dandebur,
I would think that your "IP" item is genuine, I cannot think of any reason why it wouldn't be. I do not know enough about primer protectors to know whether any of the "normal" pattern ones for 18-Pdrs had rings. If they didn't, then I suspect the addition of the ring, and the differently shaped bit in the centre would be enough to get it accepted as India Pattern, if it was not generally adopted, rather than have it advanced to the next Mark Number.

Roger.

Thanks Ron and Roger for your advices.What I can say : this clip IP has been given to me by a neighbour who salvages metals for the scrap yard. He did not know what it was before I explain him. For him it had only the value of the brass, so he gave it to me. For sure, I can't exclude a do-it-yourself, without the intention to make a fake. The question is not solved.
Dandebur.

Morning,

On the subjest of primer clips, I have an 18 Pdr clip with S.M.P and broad arrow stamp. Also ALCO on another. I'm sure there's a thread here somewhere that suggested ALCO was a US or Canadian company, (Aluminium Co?) although I may have got that wrong.
But S.M.P? Any ideas? Thanks chaps.