What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.5 Vickers belt or link

ozziammo

Greetings all & Happy New Year!
Does any one have reference to what was used in the Vickers light tank in the .5 Vickers gun that some of these tanks carried? I am specifically trying to determine if the guns in the tanks used Webb belt of disintegrating link to feed the gun? Would anyone have any pics of the Webb belt (if used)? Also any pics of the internals of the tank that show what ammo boxes were used with the .5 Vickers?
Thanks,
Regards Ozzi.

Dont know about the Vickers light tank but the .5 Vickers armed Matilda Mk1 used a Web belt similar to the .303 version , there's a picture in the book Armour, Camouflage & Markings of the B.E.F France 1939-1940 Part 1 1st Army Tank Brigade by Robert .Gregory,hope this helps

Big Dave,

I don't happen to have that book, but I will be on the lookout for it. Either way, I am happy to know--and somewhat surprized--that there was a .50 Vickers web belt..... I have British, Italian, and I think one Japanese metallic link for the 50 X 81/50 X 81SR.

Thanks,
Taber

Just been having a dig the .5 used both a Web belt and disintegrating link depending on which version of the gun according to an article "The .5 Vickers and ammunition on Anthony G Williams website www.quarry .nildram.Co. uk, makes a interesting read

The AFV guns did use the web belt. I've only ever come across a single one and have it with my .5-inch Mk V. The disintegrating link does seem to have been used with the .5-inch Mk II in some of the early tankettes but I can't remember the source for that info. The Mk III, in Naval use did use the disintegrating link as its main feed.

I've got photos of all on my site: https://vickersmg.blog/in-use/accessories/ammunition-boxes-belts-and-loading-accessories/