What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown .450 ?

Shawy

Hi chaps, I've had this in my collection for a number of years and need sum help on it. Case length 3.2455 in ,case width at mouth 0.4558 in,width at rim 0.5425 in. Projectile. L=1.2380in,dia =.4515in,four grooves. Total length,3.9735. Regards Shawy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 36
Shawy,
It looks like a straight-forward .450 x 3 1/4" Black Powder Express. With that bullet, it is possible that it might have been loaded with a light charge of Cordite or similar, as most of the BPE bullets were paper patched.

Roger.

Hi roger, I don't even know if it's the correct projectile. Got it with a load of bits from an antique shop years ago. I would say it's 1930s ish ? It's not a 3 1/4 it's nearly 4inchs long. Was just curious to id it. Military rnds is my main collection. Regards Pete.

Hi Shawy,
The headstamp is ELEY . LONDON ., but Eley Bros disappeared as a separate entity about 1919, when they were merged with most of the other ammunition companies to form Explosives Trades Ltd. This later became ICI. Metallic sporting ammunition was made under the Kynoch label, and it is quite probable that early on after the merger old stocks of Eley cases would have been used until they were all gone. However, I would suspect that this is a relatively early case - possibly pre 1900 - as the later ones usually had the calibre on the head as well.

Roger.

Hi Roger,thanks for the info it's now been transferred to my notes. And yes I realised that after I posted it glevum I was a bit rushed. But thanks anyway. Regards Shawy.