What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US 4in L/50 projectile

charley777

Hello...i have a 4in 50cal US cartridge case. Can anyone please tell me where i can find photos/drawings of the various projectiles used. In fact a downloadable manual on US Navy rounds would be great to know about. Any suggestions? Thanks

There was a WWII manual on the net, and it was pulled off so the U.S. Navy could review it. What a joke. So terrorists are going to come up with 100 year old projectiles?

Rounds L to R:

Drill, AP-Common, APCBC-HE, HE-Hicap, Illuminating, Common. Unfortuantely all are repaints (not done by me). All of them should be painted with flat paint. The blue should be darker on the Illum.

Attachments

• 4 inch 50 cal U.S.jpg
    4 inch 50 cal U.S.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 4 inch 50 cal Projos.jpg
    4 inch 50 cal Projos.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
U.S. 4"/50 projectiles...

Hello charley777,

Here is the information you need regarding the two types of 4"/50 common projectiles used by the U.S. Navy. The MK 6 & MK 10.

Best regards,

Randall

Attachments

• P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 54
  • P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 41
  • P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 43
  • P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 35
Photo

Well thanks for the prompt replies...that is exactly what i wanted...may as well post the photo anyway as it shows the meagre extent of my 4 inch case collection LOL Not a lot available in NZ. From left to right...102x884R US 4in 50cal.......102x730R UK 4in Mks 16 & 21......102x730R UK 4in Mk 5 (fixed AA).....102x493 UK 4in Mk 4 (sep CD) Thanks again ,Charley

Attachments

• 4inch naval cases.JPG
    4inch naval cases.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 45
U.S. 4"/50 projectiles...

Hello Charlie,

Even here in the U.S. the 4"/50 casings are difficult to come across. The projectiles are almost impossible to find! So don't feel to badly living in New Zealand.

Best regards,

Randall

Length?

Hello Hazord....i notice that the illuminating shell is in a shorter case..pleasde tell me it's length (for my database)...thanks very much. And thanks for the encouraging words Shelldude...i was lucky to spot this in an auction catalogue......must get the laquer off it one day...it's much too shiny!

4"-50 drill round

Very nice collection of 4"-50. I have a wooden drill round that has a wooden projectile capped with a fuze adapter. The steel base is similar to your's. I have been working on a fella for 4 years to get him to sell me his brass case. No luck yet. I have had it for many years and turned a wooden fuze on my dad's lathe at 11 years of age. I was most impressed about this cartridge as it was the first shot fired in WWII outside Pearl Harbor by the destroyer Ward. They found the remains of the Japanese mini sub with a hole in the conning tower just where the gun crew saw it hit.

Attachments

• Shells 1964.jpg
    Shells 1964.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 39