What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PMD-6 anti-personnel mine, Russia

microplastic

The PMD-6 is an anti-personnel mine manufactured in the former Soviet Union that has been used in around 30 countries worldwide. The mine is usually used with an MUV / MUV-2 Fuze. The housing of the PMD-6 is made of green-painted wood with a hinged lid with a slot cut into it. The slot presses down against a retaining pin, which holds back the striker. The mine is 200 millimeters long, 89 millimeters wide and 64 millimeters high.
At a pressure of only 1 kg on the upper part, the retaining pin is pushed out of the pre-tensioned firing pin. This releases the firing pin and ignites the detonator and then the main charge (200g of TNT).

The mine has two safety pins: the first one on the MUV fuze, which prevents the detonator from being activated by the firing pin when released, and a second pin on the mine body, which prevents the upper part from being pushed down.

Unlike the PMD-6, the PMD-6M features a leaf spring on the underside of the lid to increase low release pressure.

The PMD-6 was the first mine used by the German Democratic Republic in the 1960s to create mine fields on the inner-German border. The mines were later replaced with bakelit/plastic models (PMN) because the PMD-6 tended to explode in heavy snow or the mines were no longer functional due to the weathering of the wooden box.

High: 64mm
Length: 200mm
Width: 89mm
Weight: 400g
Explosive: 200g TNT
Operating pressure: 1kg
Body: wooden

Attachments

• IMG_8315.JPG
    IMG_8315.JPG
    239.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8313.JPG
    IMG_8313.JPG
    630 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8317.JPG
    IMG_8317.JPG
    549.4 KB · Views: 26
Very nice and clear cut with a good description. Just downloaded the postibg for my files
Thank you Sir.
Regards, DJH