What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1.5" L4A1 Cart Irrt Prac

Weasel

Premium Member
Hi All,
Just wondering if anyone out there can give me a bit more info on this old round i dug out of a box while having a sort out this week.
I cant recall seeing another like it what would the filling of been for the service rounds and also can anyone supply a sectioned one or drawing to look at ? Not my area of collecting so will go up in the trade section soon, but would like to find out a little more about it as i have had it for so many years.
The markings on the case are as follows:

VL
CART IRRT PRAC
1.5IN L4A1
SPRA 4/71

The headstamp on the case reads FPL 10/70
And there are two painted bands on the case as seen one a pale green and the other a darker blue,
Best regards Weasel.

Attachments

• 1.5 inch irrt prac 2.jpg
    1.5 inch irrt prac 2.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 1.5 inch irrt prac 1.jpg
    1.5 inch irrt prac 1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 30
Weasel,

what my Jane's Reference (1975) is telling me is that the L4A1 is an aluminum canister projectile which holds either the CS smoke producing composition or the "Practice" version having Pink Smoke and all having a delay unit. This canister (CS) is contained within an aluminum cartridge case which also incorporates the percussion cap in the base and a propellant charge. Just like the practice version, supposedly.

Now, supposedly again these are the specs for the CS packed one and including the "Practice" version:

1) Range is not mentioned here.
2) At a 100m the delay times appear to be 1-5 seconds.
3) Burning time is anywhere from 10-15 seconds
4) The length of this projectile (again for the CS and the practice versions) is 120mm

Note: They kinda put this pink smoke practice version in a different reference for the L3A1. These projectiles from the L3A1 to the L4A1 are identical in every way except for the fact that the L3's seems to have two versions. Those two are for longer range use, and for a short range use. Nothing stating about how much CS or pink smoke is loaded in these two.

Bottom Line. Not very much is said about them in the 1975 time period. Hope this helps you out, well, somewhat at least?

Mark

Hi Mark,
Many thanks for taking the time to look that up and post the info up here, Spotter thank you as well, always so much to learn and i keep finding more questions.
Best regards Weasel.