What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1.59" Crayford Rounds

Weasel

Premium Member
Hi All,
Just managed to add a few rounds to my collection that i have been after for quite a while, it's been a good week...!
First up are these two 1.59 Crayford rounds managed to get hold of this week. Still have some of the red paint on the base, Am i right in thinking that AZ stands for Anti Zepplin ? These then would have had a incendiary composition in them.
Both rounds are empty and inert.
Best Weasel.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 61
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 66
And the second round, Also empty and inert.

Best Weasel.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 55
Nice rounds Weasel, they go for quite a bit of money these days.

Dave.

Thanks Dave, you spend ages looking for one and then two come along at once. Got them for a very good price.
Best Weasel.

How do you manage to find things like this? Two of these in one week is probably the best week of finds you will have for a long time.

Are these the two

from ebay - the guy pulled the auction as he got some offers -

It appears so. Naturally numerous of us contacted the buyer and it seems that who ever started making the off line offers that caused the less than honourable seller to end the auction didn't get these. This is good as nobody likes this to happen to them. I never pull auctions if asked,(Nor will I make an offer on an auction from behind) It's only a sign that the item is good and doing so would only sell myself short. It's a small world ~

When ebay kills an auction that is very different than the seller doing it and then it's fair game.

Last edited:
Hi Gspragge,
Yes you are correct these two rounds were indeed for sale on ebay.

I would like to make it clear regarding these two rounds that i was in no way reponible for the early ending or indeed any underhand offer to aquire them. It was indeed ebay that pulled the auction and I was the first and lucky bidder,
Best regards Weasel.

Now back on topic, am i to assume that the red paint on the base of the case was to make these incendiary rounds easy to tell apart from the other loadings while stored in their packing cases or racks? were these the only rounds to use this or did the others have there own colour code. Please feel free to add any further info.
Best Weasel.

They would have been

Painted red over all, but this seldom seems to survive, I have seen only one sold with the paint. Seems to be the colour for Incendiary projectiles. Same for the COW incendiary

Thanks for that Gspragge, i have never seen it before so was not sure if it was original or not but upon closer inspection it matches the traces of paint left on the projectiles. It seems that most if not all of the older rounds have lost there paint over the years either by excessive handling or cleaning.
Best Weasel.

Last edited: