What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1'' Chinese Jingal

Sorcerer

Here is a few photos of 1'' Chinese Jingal. Case is 94 mm long and is made from 2 parts. Can anybody help me with translate of chinese markings?

Regards

Attachments

• 25,4 x 94 R 01.jpg
    25,4 x 94 R 01.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 25,4 x 94 R 03.jpg
    25,4 x 94 R 03.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 25,4 x 94 R 04.jpg
    25,4 x 94 R 04.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 25,4 x 94 R 06.jpg
    25,4 x 94 R 06.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 47
According to Woodin Lab this is a 1 inch gatling not a Jingal.

Made by Nanking arsenal Jin Ling.
The hs says: "Jin Ling Factory Made"

Many thanks for your help.
Concerning to correct designation, I thing that both names can be right. Various sources feature various designation. For example here is scan from auction catalogue from 80's..

Attachments

• 25,4 x 94 R Gatling Čna 08.jpg
    25,4 x 94 R Gatling Čna 08.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 41
For what it is worth, and I have no proof to back this up, I tend to think the round is a Gatling and not a Jingal cartridge. Many cartridges over the years have been misidentified due to information at the time. In later years more information surfaces and a more correct designation can be made. An identification in the 1980's could well have been updated later. I would bow to the knowledge of Bill Woodin and George Hoyem on this one. George shows this cartridge in Vol 2 of his History & Devlopment of Small Arms Ammunition as the 1-inch Gatling. I only know of two cartridgeas that bear the Jingal name. One is the right hand cartridge in the photo I have attached. Also shown is the headstamp on that case, which is different from the Gatling cartridge. The Gatling headstamp beginning this thread is identical to the one shown in Hoyem's book also. The other Jingal is a straight wall brass cased .75. That one is a much scarcer Jingal cartridge to find.

Attachments

• Jingal.jpg
    Jingal.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Jingal hs.jpg
    Jingal hs.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 44
Here is a few photos of 1'' Chinese Jingal. Case is 94 mm long and is made from 2 parts. Can anybody help me with translate of chinese markings?

Regards

Very nice, very rare, thanks for showing it.
Dave.

For what it is worth, and I have no proof to back this up, I tend to think the round is a Gatling and not a Jingal cartridge. Many cartridges over the years have been misidentified due to information at the time. In later years more information surfaces and a more correct designation can be made. An identification in the 1980's could well have been updated later. I would bow to the knowledge of Bill Woodin and George Hoyem on this one. George shows this cartridge in Vol 2 of his History & Devlopment of Small Arms Ammunition as the 1-inch Gatling. I only know of two cartridgeas that bear the Jingal name. One is the right hand cartridge in the photo I have attached. Also shown is the headstamp on that case, which is different from the Gatling cartridge. The Gatling headstamp beginning this thread is identical to the one shown in Hoyem's book also. The other Jingal is a straight wall brass cased .75. That one is a much scarcer Jingal cartridge to find.

OK, so it's Gatling :) Thanks for help again. There is interesting, that my Gatling was found here, in central Europe..
BTW, you have very, very nice rounds!