What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1" Flare Cartridge

Gunnerop

Hello,

Does anyone have any images of 1" flares they could post? I am interested in the markings on them. I have one captive example, red, marked C.T.B 42 XI. T. I am having some replicas made in resin for the stowage rack in my Daimler Armoured Car. It took me long enough to find one original. The thought of having to find another 11 is too much!

There seems to be a faint rectangular stamp in purple ink which I can't make out. I am keen to get these as close as possible bearing in mind that only the last inch or so of these is visible in the rack.

Unless of course someone has a few they want to part with.....!!

Regards

Gunnerop

Here are a few pictures. I have more flares but they are put away. I will dig them out and photograph them but it wont be till the weekend.

Green flare (fired)

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_1014.jpg

Purple stamp says "179" and under it there is a rectangle stamp in the same color that looks like "3 JUN 1940" it is very faint in the photo.

No headstamp.

Hi there,

Many thanks for the swift response and for the images. Just the stuff I was looking for. Look forward to seeing a few more in due course.

Regards

GO

What sort of flare pistol would these have been fired from?

Tomorrow I'll post a photo of a tin that 3 red 1" Flares would have come in if anyone is interested.

What sort of flare pistol would these have been fired from?

Tomorrow I'll post a photo of a tin that 3 red 1" Flares would have come in if anyone is interested.

Oh yes please.... I would like to see it :wink:

Here are some Brit flare pistols..... and a US one..

WW2 British No.1 Mk. 5

IMG_1044.jpg

WW1 British No.1 Mk III* (Webley manufactured in 1918)

IMG_1045.jpg

WW1 US Very Pistol Mark IV made by A.H. Fox

IMG_1046.jpg

Flare tin

Here are the photos of the tin for three 1" Red Signal flares. The tin is made of steel and is lacquered gold on the inside as with tins holding biscuits or other products. It may have opened with a corned beef style "key".

Front: The text reads:
3 CARTRIDGES
1" SIGNAL RED
L5A1
LOT N 36
CY-10-64

CY-10-64 Indicates that the tin was filled at ROF Chorley, near Euxton, Lancashire, England in October 1964.

flaretin_front.jpg

Side:

Text reads:

BOX 437 MKI
1MB. /62

flaretin_side.jpg

Top:

There is a raised "+" in the top lid (indicating that the flare produces a single red star).

flaretin_view.jpg

I am planning to repaint the missing areas of the letters by hand using red airfix enamel, as their outline where they were scratched off remains.

Last edited:
Flare tin

They did not come with a "corned beef" key, but were sealed with a thick black bituminous tape.

Regards
tonyE

Tin sealing

Tony E regarding how the flare tins were sealed-they were sealed very simply with thick Black tape similar to "Gaffa" tape.

Incidently the "IMB" is for the "Metal Box" company and the "I" or perhaps "1" signifies factory number one which I think was located at Braintree in Essex.

Chris :tinysmile_shy_t:

Just try to keep up!
No excuses, you are not as old as I am.

All the best.
TonyE

Here is a pic of the 3 rds I have.

Attachments

• flare.jpg
    flare.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 28
Gunnerop
CTB = CT Brook (better known as Brooks fireworks)

Missingsomething
IFS/C International Flare and Signal Company, Canada
TWH T.W. Hand & Co. Cocksville. Ontario.

Chris 42 RQ
As you correctly state MB is the Metal Box Company but, 1MB is Metal Box Co. (F. Atkins& Co. Ltd (Hull))

Armourer
The green cartridge was made by ICI, filled by Standard Firewoorks, Huddersfield.

Regards

Tim. G.