What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1 inch flares.

tigbrand

Premium Member
Be meaning to post these for a while,swapped these nice rounds with andysarmoury,then found original tin on ebay,not everybodies cup of tea but a collecting area on its own.If anyone has any to get rid of please let me know,inc german ones,cheers tony.

P1010251.jpg

Cracking info spotter,many thanks indeed.Where did you get your info on the L series rounds? Cheers Tony.

Sorry Tony dont know where these are from, and cant remember who sent me them ,had em couple years now

I have seen original cartridges in the correct boxes at Beltring with one of the dealers-S.McGregor

Hope putting a dealers name on here does not violate any protocols-if it does please delete!

Good hunting !

Hi Chris welcome to the site,nice to see you are looking through the posts.If any body knows this guy or has a contact no,i would be very gratefull.I seem to collect the stuff nobody else wants,many thanks Tony.:)

flare_002.jpg
I dont want to go off topic but i bought this casing a long time ago and I think it might be a flare casing can anybody id it for me two pictures to follow

Cheers DAZ

Hi daz my sister has a collection of mainly trench art. but with a case similiar to this,stamped K,it has a knurled rim though.Will get a pic to post at w end.Thanks tony.

Daz, Your case is a 1 Inch flare made by Kynoch Ltd of Witton, Birmingham in 1927. I am told that these were never actually loaded as flares, but were filled to full capacity with powder and had a wad placed over the top and sealed.

The reason why this was done was to covertly ship powder to a country (don't know which one) that had a law preventing importation of powder on its own. As these had cases, they could be imported as cartridges, which were legal to import into that country.

I also have one of these cases that looks to never have been fired but has the remains of a seal on the inside mouth. The primer on mine is dented whereas yours looks to be fitted with a reversed empty copper cap. They are fairly common with this date. Some of them may have been loaded as actual flares, but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks so much falcon thats dead interesting , as it has i think two bands of sticky stuff left on the inside of the mouth of the case . what weapon fired them do you know or have a piccy
Cheers DAZ

To anyone interested:
I have an Egyptian marked aluminium 1" Illuminating Flare case made in 1971. As there are no maker's markings it may be a contract round loaded by another country for Egypt.

Thanks for the info on the case falcon,very interesting.Can you pm me about flare case,Many thanks Tony

L3A1 Illuminating

I have several cases of "L3A1, 1" Illuminating", which are packed 3 to a box No 437, which in turn are packed 9 to a box No 515.

Attachments

• L3A1 illum.JPG
    L3A1 illum.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4893.JPG
    IMG_4893.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 33
  • cart.jpg
    cart.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 37
  • FlareBox-1.JPG
    FlareBox-1.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 28
Kynoch flare case

To answer several points:

The case is a flare case, not a 4 bore for a shot or punt gun, as it is dated.

Falson is correct, the (undocumented to my knowledge) story is that these cases were used to send bulk powder to a South American country where Kynoch had strong interests, but which had either an import ban or high tariffs of powder. It may have been Argentina, where Kynoch had a shareholding in Orbea Hmns., the ammo manufacturers. Credence for this story is supported by the dummy cap that is found in these rounds.

As for the weapon, the brass cases would also fit the normal British 1 inch flare pitols. there is a picture of one in another recent thread.

Regards
TonyE