What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1 pdr pom-pom exhibition head?

Depotman

Premium Member
Any ideas on the background to this head? I've seen another identical one many years ago and have often wondered about their origins. The nose is hollow and unthreaded, about 19mm dia x about 22mm deep. The filling is a solid white compressed powder. Thanks, Trevor.

Attachments

• DSCN7756.jpg
    DSCN7756.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN7757.jpg
    DSCN7757.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN7782.JPG
    DSCN7782.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 62
i have seen these before also, I believe this may be a type of training spotting round, the powder was forced forward on impact to give a smoke puff effect advising the spotter where the shell hit. I seem to remember from somewhere there was a .303 round that had same effect ?

I have never heard of this before

The writing looks like a souviner kind of thing, but the coarse mid body turnings are unusual. The thick paint likely hides other markings if present.
I can't imagine these being fired with out something covering the nose. This is not neccessarily a British projectile and the writing looks European to me, perhaps Norwegian - ?

Can any one else comment on this---

Last edited:
The writing looks like a souviner kind of thing, but the coarse mid body turnings are unusual. The thick paint likely hides other markings if present.
I can't imagine these being fired with out something covering the nose. This is not neccessarily a British projectile and the writing looks European to me, perhaps Norwegian - ?

Can any one else comment on this---
Perhaps it is an exhibition item, or even a salesman's sample! There is a detailed article on the 37mm Hotchkiss in the 25th Anniversary Edition of the ECRA Journal, which covers the ammunition manufactured by all the major (and minor) powers, and there is nothing like this projectile included. I've looked carefully at the surface; the paint isn't too thick; and there are no markings. I don't think it was made to be fired. Trevor