What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10.5 cm le FH case

proditto

le FH 10.5 cm case type 6342/65c. This has a solid steel base and wrapped steel sheet case. The steel wrap is about 1.5 turns thick at the top and about 4 at the base. The steel wrap tube is held in place by a washer on the inside of the base. The holes on the base are for holding while tightening the nut (3 notches)and washer on the inside.The whole case is lacquered and the steel wrap is chemically treated. Great example of German improvisation and development.

Sandy

Attachments

• DSC_0194-2.jpg
    DSC_0194-2.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC_0195.jpg
    DSC_0195.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0192.jpg
    DSC_0192.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_0191.jpg
    DSC_0191.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 51
Nice case Sandy. So what was the advantage of making wrapped cases? Surely it would be more difficult to make than drawing the cases or is it a question of how big the equipment needed to be to make the case - I'm assuming machines that draw artillery sized shells are really big expensive bits of kit?
Dave.

wrapped cases didnt need haevy machinery like for making the forged cases. So it's manufactoring wasnt bound to the restrictions of heavy press or draw machines, and could be done in small factories.

Sectional drawing of a 10.5cm case

TimG

Attachments

• Dscf9093.jpg
    Dscf9093.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 24
Steel Case

Dave,
Apart from the use of steel as the material for the case, one advantage is the the machinery needed to make this case.
It used lathes and steel sheet manufacturing rollers. The lathe was the most common machine tool and the thin metal sheet came from such people as made tin cans! The UK did the same. My local garage turned out 'bits' on an old Myford lathe!
TimG
Thanks for the drawing. I think it came from a Schrivernham report by Hogg. This report showed a number of different case constructions. Unfortunately my copy is faded. Any more from you??

Sandy

Sandy,

"Armaments Research Department, Technical Report No. 2/46, Part E. German Ammunition: A survey of Wartime Development, Cartridge Cases"

Strutt & Pearce 1946

Regards

TimG

drawings

Thanks TimG.
Hogg probably borrowed them as there are 5 or 6 in his report. Please PM me if you an help with a copy. I can copy Hogg's report.(Will be poor)

Sandy