What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

105mm / 106mm RCL HEP-T

charley777

IMG_3822.JPGIMG_3821.jpgIMG_3819.jpgIMG_3823.jpgIMG_3820.JPGThis is a projectile with interesting markings (i think).
The copper seems to have been deposited from the many-times-recycled phosphoric acid that i use to clean copper, brass and steel. It was very rusty when i got it.
The markings read:-
???-4-64 1955 HEP-T 105MM T139E?5 106MM
Is it normal to stamp both 105 & 106mm?
I realise that before the "106mm" there was the 105mm RCL but imagine that was still in the experimental stage(?).
The site has reshuffled my photos so that they are in a different order. One of them shows 1 of the 2 indexing buttons.
Can anyone throw some light on this?
And would this have been painted blue?
Thanks very much, Charley

Charley,

The 105mm RR was developed late in WWII. Initial loadings were WP-Smoke, HE, and HEAT. These projectiles were made by modifying 105 Howitzer projectiles, broaching rifling marks on the rotating bands, and turning crimping grooves on the projectiles below the rotating bands and reducing the diameter for the thicker recoilless case.

HEP-T projectiles were developed right after WWII most likely in conjuction with the family of 106mm RR projectiles which were redesigned to get better performance, and since the weapons were the same bore diameter and rifling the HEP-T projectiles were marked for both weapons since the 105RR was still in use. HEP-T projos were also designed for the WWII 75mm RR. The 105mm howitzer projectiles are very thick-walled, which limited their range especially from a recoilless weapon. The thin-walled HEP-T was great for both HE and antiarmor applications, and the newer HEAT minimized rotation to get better penetration. There were prototype WP rounds which were shorter than the old 105H WP, but they weren't adopted for use. In addition, a flechette projectile was developed and issued. All of the 106mm RR projectiles are thin-walled to give a higher velocity and longer range than the 105mm RR.

Last edited:
Thanks, Hazord, very much , for your detailed reply.
It well explains the different markings. This projectile came to me from Japan where of course J-Force spent many post-war years.
Cheers.........Charley

Thanks, Hazord, very much , for your detailed reply.
It well explains the different markings. This projectile came to me from Japan where of course J-Force spent many post-war years.
Cheers.........Charley