What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

106mm Recoilless rounds

millector

G'day,everyone.l am trying to find the dimension for a Vietnam era 106mm Recoilless rifle projectile as used in the US M40A1.Hoping to turn one out of wood as are very rare here in Australia.Length of nose ,position of driving band, overall length would be a great help.millector

Last edited by a moderator:
There are 3 typical rounds issued, HEAT, HEP-T, and Flechette. Which one are you looking for info on?

looking at the HEP-T and Flechette rounds .l have a photo of a drill round ,black painted with white stencilling 106R does that sound right? DRILL
INERT
CART.M368

Pictures of mine. I remember seeing a projectile without case somewhere recently. I almost bought it when this one came up for sale....I will try remember who had the single projectile for sale. Send me a reminder in a few days.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    214.1 KB · Views: 41
That's great,so what l would like to know is overall length of projectile ,where the driving band is positioned and withes,where the shoulder starts to nose tip.thanks

Actually, from a manufacturing point of view, the HEAT projectile above the case mouth is the easiest to make, because it has no rotating band, straight sides, and straight tapered ogive.
The HEP-T and Flechette both have Pre-engraved rotating bands and radiused ogives, and the Flechette has a nose fuze.

l'll try turning a HEP-T ,that looks pretty straight forward and then a HEAT round.Its just so l can have what looks like a complete round in my Vietnam war display

TM 9-1300-203, Artillery Ammunition, Dept. of the Army, 1967 (U.S.)

Attachments

• IMG_2506.jpg
    IMG_2506.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2508.jpg
    IMG_2508.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2510.jpg
    IMG_2510.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 57
I've never seen that MDN11 HEAT before. It actually looks like the experimental WP projectile

Hello HAZORD
I put some more photos of MDN11 used by the navy infantry Spanish Infantry used by the Spanish Navy and also a 4.2 inch, M335 Illuminating.

IMG_8520.jpgIMG_8521.jpg
IMG_8523.jpgIMG_8524.jpg
IMG_8529.jpg

Last edited:
Here are the finished 106MM projectiles.Pritty happy with the end result. How do l rotate pictures?

Attachments

• DSCN9509.JPG
    DSCN9509.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN9506.JPG
    DSCN9506.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCN9509 (1).JPG
    DSCN9509 (1).JPG
    124 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN9546.JPG
    DSCN9546.JPG