What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12.7 x 99 .50 cal

ozziammo

Got this headstapmed .50cal but have not seen this manufacturer before, can anyone tell me who made it please?

Thanks, Regards Ozzi.

Attachments

• IMG_4608.jpg
    IMG_4608.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 82

This headstamp also appears on 7.92 x 57mm and is listed as unknown in White & Munhall. However, I have a feeling it has since been identified as possibly of Baltic origin.

More important, I am willing to bet that there is a good chance that what you have is not a .50 Br. but a 13.2 x 99 Hotchkiss. That is based on the fact that there was very little use of the .50 Browning outside of the US in 1937, plus the fact that it would fit much better with the 7.92 with the same headstamp.

Measure the bullet diameter and let me know.

Regards
TonyE

Dutch?

Agree the double date looks Dutch and the "D" could be Hirtenberger Dordrecht, but we need confirmation.

Maybe worthwhile posting on the IAA forum.

Regards
TonyE

It is a dutch .50 case

L = Lichtspoor (tracer)

D = N.V Nederlandse Patronen-, slaghoedjes - en Metaalwarenfabriek,
staart-Merwedehaven , Dordrecht The Netherlands

Dutch .50

Thanks, very interesting.

When did the Dutch adopt the .50 Browning and was it an aircraft gun? If so, which aircraft used it?

Regards
TonyE

50 bmg

Volume IV of the "Browning Machine Gun" series notes that the Colt Royalty Register shows purchases of BMG by the Dutch in 1939 by the Royal Netherlands Indies Ordnance Commission and the Royal Netherlands Purchasing Commission for the eastern colonies.

Both air cooled and water cooled guns were sold.

Thanks, very interesting.

When did the Dutch adopt the .50 Browning and was it an aircraft gun? If so, which aircraft used it?

Regards
TonyE

The dutch first adopt the gun in 1928 ,Browing and colt
for use in the Royal dutch navy (for stormboats on river patrol)and KNIL, as a AA Gun.
comes from a article written by GB Klein Baltink(NVBMB)only in dutch.
but i shall ask him, of there is an english version of this article

Han

.50 cal

WOW, thanks very much for the info on this unusual headstamp, next thing I have to figure out is- how did it end up in Australia??????????

Regards Ozzi.

The guns were for the Dutch East Indies. it is not so far from Indonesia to Australia.

Thanks Blackwatch. I had not realised the Dutch were such relatively early users of the Browning. As I posted earlier, generally in the 1930s the 13.2 Hotchkiss was far more popular in Europe.

Regards
TonyE

I think Tony's assumption of the Indonesian/Australian connection are probably spot on.
The Dutch operated 'lend lease' US aircraft, certainly the B25 'Mitchell' and some fighters (either P 39 or P40) which would have obviously all been equipped with .50 Brownings.
The Squadrons operated in the Dutch East Indies were later re-formed in Australia (1942?) and were bolstered with some Australian ground crew.....so I expect that's how Peter's example has been located in 'Oz'.

regards,

PeterC