What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12 Inch Navy projectile

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Need assistance on this ... this item was dredged up and I am trying to ID it. I have posted the images with measurements, but I can tell you the 1.5 inch rotating bands are very interesting ... any ideas?

Joe

Attachments

• 12 inch navy external w measures.jpg
    12 inch navy external w measures.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 12 inch navy base view.jpg
    12 inch navy base view.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 106
The projos in the two photos are much longer than the one that Joe has posted. I have one that is approximately the same length as Joe's, but my copy doesn't have the hex shape on the base. It has a screw in baseplate with two small fuzes screwed into it. It was pulled out of San Francisco bay. The local Moffat Field EOD unit used a shape charge to punch a hole into the cavity which was empty.

The first Battleship Idaho BB-24 had 12 inch guns, and I assume the rest of their class had the same guns.

The manual for the 12 inch Seacoast guns and mortars has drawings of the projectiles, are all the longer ones, as they were fired at high angles to fall onto the decks of ships and penetrate. I believe that the shorter ones were more from the Naval Rifles for higher velocity broadside firing.

Last edited:
Looking at what information I could dig up ... the rotating band is the key ID feature. There are only a few 1.25 inch rotating bands with that diameter projo. Most of them are 4 inches wide.

Joe

Joe

While the more modern large diameter projectiles have wide rotating bands, early ones, such as those from the late 19th and early 20th Centuries, had much narrower bands. If you can search around for photos of some of the old 12"/35 projectiles you'd probably see that a 1.5 inch band was more common than not. I'm talking about the really old "B" class ships (before the "BBs") and even before that with "M" class (Monitors).

That hex-head screw in the base probably indicated the projectile was blind loaded and plugged

Ray

Last edited:
Joe

The 1903 Text Book of Ordnance and Gunnery contains fairly detailed drawings of 12" projectiles. The ones shown have rotating bands 1.75" wide. One of the hex plugs is also shown, except it is 2.5" across the flats.

Unfortunately, I have no way to give a link to the document and no way to save and send any of the drawings. The entire thing is 440 pages long. Part 2 is nearly 600 pages long (dated 1915) and contains drawings of many of the smaller projectiles.

I'll stand by my opinion (SWAG) that you have one of the early 12"/35 or 12"/40 projectiles, blind loaded.

Ray

Last edited: