What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12-Pdr

ydnum303

Hi all,

Browsing through a copy of the 1905 Treatise on Ammunition, on page 121 I came across the following statement:-

"Details of the ammunition for the 12-pr Q.F. (of which only a few exist) will be found in the handbook for that gun."

Does anyone on this forum know anything about this gun and the ammunition for it? Can anyone show a picture of the ammunition, please?

Thanks in advance,

Roger.

12 1/2Pdr

Howdy,

Yeah I have part of one, pics in earlier post on 03/11/08.

It has a crimp groove so I am thinking there must be a cart. case somewhere???

I had two projectile bodies, both shrapnel, missing the adapter ring & fuses.

Have you any listing of what fuse was used?

Regards Ozzi.

Hi ozziammo,
Nice to see the shell, and the stampings on it. As you say, there should be a cartridge case for it, but I have never seen one (as far as I know). I only came across this reference to it earlier this week, and it was the first time I had ever heard of it. Sorry, no idea about the fuze.
Regards,
Roger.

12 1/2Pdr

Howdy Fellas,

A couple more pics of the projectile, to show a bit more detail.

The mouth has distorted a bit from where the shrapnel was expelled when fired.

Regards Ozzi.

Attachments

• 12.5pr-4.jpg
    12.5pr-4.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 12.5pr-3.jpg
    12.5pr-3.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 35
  • 12.5pr-2.jpg
    12.5pr-2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 12.5pr-1.jpg
    12.5pr-1.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 31
12 1/2Pdr

I put some dimensions to the projectile as requested in PM.

Dimensions are in inches.

Regards Ozzi.

Attachments

• 12.5pr1-1.jpg
    12.5pr1-1.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 22
  • 12.5pr-2.jpg
    12.5pr-2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 15
12 1/2pr

Nice to see a well marked shell of this type. Little info to add, the fuze would be a no.58 T & P according to the fuze list I have. The guns were used in the Boer war by the British, from a web site on that war which shows a picture of the gun as well as others of that era. Gun is a Vickers Maxim. 2pr