What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12 Pounder Star shell???

tigbrand

Premium Member
Bought this off SA recently,when it arrived i though someone had butchered the bottom so though id bought a pup! Had another look yesterday and popped out the base,seems its original and is obviously base eject.The shear pins seemed to be fitted randomly,but i have been informed this is common on early shells like this. So is it star,smoke or what? Any info appreciated,cheersView attachment 77688View attachment 77689 Tony.

nice pup! wont need much house training. Quick thought its shrapnell, dont think star was needed or invented at that date likewise nor smoke but have not looked in any books yet.

Hi C. though shrapnel,but it would be ejected the wrong way! The shell is dated 1887,but could have been reissued? it also has a serial no on it which i have never seen before. Looked on the treatise for 1887 on the downloads on here but couldnt find owt. Would be nice to find out. Cheers tig.

tig,

Have a look @ the 4in shrapnel proj in the same Treatise, it shows a proj that uses the exact same principal, base eject shrapnel.

BTW I also have the same 12pdr projectile as you!

Regards Ozzi.

12Pr Shrapnel.jpg

Have not had time to study this but is this what you are looking for?

Excellent stuff Norman,now im happy,cheers Ozzi too. Never seen a base eject Shrapnel before! What would be the correct fuse for this? It came with the remains of a No 56 or similiar. Thanks Tig.

Excellent stuff Norman,now im happy,cheers Ozzi too. Never seen a base eject Shrapnel before! What would be the correct fuse for this? It came with the remains of a No 56 or similiar. Thanks Tig.

I think that is OK if the shell was fuzed after 1891 but probably the No 55 is a better bet date wise for 1887. The 56 was basically a Mark IV version of the 55 but was not formally introduced until 1891.

Just for interest given this started with Star Shell in mind. I tripped over this diagram of a 12 Pr star shell. Given the date and the fact that it is a Mark II it seems highly likely that a Mark I was around in 1887 or thereabouts.

[Edit - the 12 Pr Star Shell Mark I was introduced in April 1888)

12Pr Star.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Bonnex for the diagrams, I stand corrected on the start date of star shell, none of my books effectively go back to the 1880s

Thanks Bonnex for the diagrams, I stand corrected on the start date of star shell, none of my books effectively go back to the 1880s

Was a surprise to me too. Thanks for prompting the search.

Thanks for the extra image Norman and for all the other input. Tig.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t