What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12 Pr 12 CWT color marking

Michel

I have this Navy 12 Pr in my collection. Does somebody know what the colormarking
on this casing is for. And are there also other colors?

Groet Michel

Attachments

• P2050001.jpg
    P2050001.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 72
The green bar indicates cartridges filled with American propellant. Think this means a nitrocellulose base charge not cordite.

Hello 2Pounder,

Thanks for your answer. Are there any other colors used on the base of U.K cartridges that you know of.

Met vriendelijke groet,
Michel

There are from memory a range of colours so as to be able to ident. the round when it is stacked or stored with just the base showing. I'd have to wade through various treatise and handbooks to give more details. Got a lot going on at the moment so cant look anything up for a while.

Hello 2pounder,

Thanks for the reply when there's enough time it would be nice. If there is a specific book on this topic I would be interested in the name. But you already mentioned "various treastise and handbooks" so
no problem I will monitor this thread from time to time.

Groet Michel

had a quick look and a luminous cross on the base of the case indicates full service charge of flashless propellant. These seem to be the only two naval markings. I thought I'd read somewhere that any ammunition carried in limbers or stacked by the guns had the bases colour coded for ease of selection 18pr being typical but cant find where. Read loads of books and the memory is failing.

Hello 2pounder,

Its the naval markings that I'am looking for so thanks for your trouble' for looking it up. Again a cartridge mystery solved for me.

Met vriendelijke groet,
Michel