What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12" Shell depth gauge stamps...

starshell

Premium Member
Good afternoon all,

I've discovered a 12" long shell depth gauge for sale, marked as being for HE and Chem shells with a sliding square. Not in my possession as yet. It has stamped onto it:

DEPTH H.E & CHEM FILLED SHELLS
I.L.S. 480A
LOWKE 10.17 1166

Can anyone shed some light as to what I.L.S 480A means and LOWKE.
I'm assuming Lowke could be the manufacturer but I've yet to find anything on them.

Many thanks in advance!

Many thanks Tim,

I'd found that info on Graces guide and Wiki but not much info on their other activities besides model boats and loco's. EDIT: Just found the historical run down on Lowke re Graces. I made the mistake of just entering Lowke into the search bar....

No idea what the I.L.S would stand for by any chance?

Regards!

Last edited:
I've discovered a 12" long shell depth gauge for sale, marked as being for HE and Chem shells with a sliding square. Not in my possession as yet. It has stamped onto it:

DEPTH H.E & CHEM FILLED SHELLS
I.L.S. 480A
LOWKE 10.17 1166

Can anyone shed some light as to what I.L.S 480A means and LOWKE.

Is that the same gauge that cropped up a few months ago: http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/103429-Shell-depth-gauge?

The description rings a bell.

Snufkin,

Yes, thats the one. Had my eye on it for a while, now decided to jump it and grab it. Its an interesting piece.

Hello,
Maybe you could share photos of this interesting piece when you receive it.
TIA

Same as this one ? : http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/84528-WWII-British-Cavity-Depth-Gauge?highlight=depth+gauge
Hi MINENAZ16,

I'd be happy to post some pics when it arrives, no problem.

Its not the same as the the one you highlighted in the link you gave, but is a flat steel instrument, basic in design and dated 1917. I'll get the pictures on as soon as it arrives. Cheers!

Thanks TimG.

Any idea what the crown symbol might represent along with the I.R/ J.R? Contractors trademark perhaps?
Thanks in advance.