What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

120 mm BAT case

AMMOTECHXT

Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Hello Folks, I tried searching to see if a thread had already been started but found none, so here goes with one that followed me from Belize, 1988. The `QX' prefixed numbers are drawing numbers re the design of each component of the case. The `RW' detail on the main part of the case may also be to do with the design, perhaps some of you will know? The date of manufacture of the empty item is given as a year. The steel base has a machined venturi and it is still possible to see the ghost of stencilled propellant details on the main part of the case: BS (for ROF Bishopton) 25476RR, no date visible.

Attachments

• bat case 1.jpg
    bat case 1.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 53
  • bat case 2.jpg
    bat case 2.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 36
  • bat case 3.jpg
    bat case 3.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 34
  • bat case 4.jpg
    bat case 4.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 35
  • bat case 5.jpg
    bat case 5.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 35
  • bat case 6.jpg
    bat case 6.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 35
  • bat case 6(1).jpg
    bat case 6(1).jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 33
  • bat case 7.jpg
    bat case 7.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 33
  • bat case 8.jpg
    bat case 8.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 42
  • bat case 9.jpg
    bat case 9.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
120 BAT continued

Here are the rest. I will scan and post a (poor quality) diagram of the igniter when I get more time. I will also post some photos on the `Guns' part of the site.

Attachments

• bat case 10(1).jpg
    bat case 10(1).jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that with us. Heres a photo of the venturi closing cap. I think its made of bakelite or similar.

Fred
P1030392.JPG

Thanks for that, I had forgotten what the real thing looked like. I will scan & post a diagram of the igniter when I have time.

Igniter for recoilless ammo - diagram

Here is a diagram of an igniter for recoilless ammo. I believe it is for 120 mm BAT (Battalion Anti-Tank) cartridges.

Attachments

• typical recoilless igniter.jpg
    typical recoilless igniter.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 44
That is a really beautiful case! I've been looking for one of those for years. If anyone knows of one for sale, please let me know!

Thanks,

John

120mm bat

heres a few pics of the igniter from the base of one of mine

regards lee

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 22
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 14