What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

120mm APFSDS screw test round

SG500

Premium Member
I've had this one for years. From memory it was sold as a screw test round (my memory may be failing me though).
Its made from what looks like a fairly standard 3 piece sabot, the dart is steel and is held in place with a very large bolt and washer. There is a threaded section in the base of the dart.
I'm sure this is some sort of development test item rather than an empty sabot that's had a dart made for it.
The photos show various view of it screwed together and with bolt removed.
Can anyone help to identify it please?
Dave.

Attachments

• 120mm APFSDS screw test 1.JPG
    120mm APFSDS screw test 1.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 120mm APFSDS screw test 2.JPG
    120mm APFSDS screw test 2.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 120mm APFSDS screw test 3.JPG
    120mm APFSDS screw test 3.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 120mm APFSDS screw test 4.JPG
    120mm APFSDS screw test 4.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 22
? Dont know either !

Fascinating item David !

Not sure what that one is for though?

It may possibly be for assessing the amount of grip the petals impart to the P Rod ?

Dave,

It might be a piece of factory tooling for centering the projo in a lathe for turning the plastic pieces, or aligning it for some purpose. For whatever reason, it successfully walked off the job to arrive at your home.

John

The U.S. has a TPCSDS-T round that looks a lot like this, but I don't remember anything about a nut and washer threaded onto the dart. The internal threads are what the cone stabilizer threads into instead of having fins permanently affixed to the outside of the dart. It's the M865.

Last edited: