What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

120mm Canister Projectile

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
A shot of a couple of interesting items from a friends collection - these are factory display models, used for arms shows, etc. While only weighing a couple of pounds each they are fully accurate in size and detail. They are for the canister round used by the Abrams tank, developed for the close quarters fighting in Iraq etc.

DSC_0793.jpg

A shot of a couple of interesting items from a friends collection - these are factory display models, used for arms shows, etc. While only weighing a couple of pounds each they are fully accurate in size and detail. They are for the canister round used by the Abrams tank, developed for the close quarters fighting in Iraq etc.

View attachment 57977
Your friend has a nice collection. Thanks for showing them.
Dave.

Hello Jeff,

Thanks for the photos of the 120mm canister rounds! I've encountered reference information regarding the projectiles but have never come across a cutaway view of one.
Truly, the "MOTHER" of all goose guns...

Thanks,

Randall

Great pics
They also made a 152mm for the sheridan tank
just about every caliber 37mm up had a canister round

I've seen video of the 120mm shotgun think it was on u tube or maybe blinkx sorry cant remeber but have fun searching.

The canister round that US-Subs has shown is a recent development for use in Iraq and Afghanistan. It is nothing like the older designs from decades ago. The balls are tungsten and designed for use in the cinder-block and brick structures and terrain in those countries.

The photography on that was amazing, keeping the pellets illuminated and in focus, and tracking the thing from the muzzle.

Here are a couple of Pdf files about the 120mm round. Good info on development. Range out to 700 meters, with optimum performance in the 200 meter to 500 meter range.

Attachments

• 120mmTankM1028.pdf
    163.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 6351LevineBrian.pdf
    371.6 KB · Views: 27
I'm one of just a very few people who has worked with tungsten. The metal is very expensive and their are only a few places where they mine it. The company I worked for got it from Austria and made high tempt vacuum furnaces and tungsten was the core part of the heater element. The metal must be heated at high tempts in order to bend or cut it without it shattering. Drilling it was also a tricky process. Enclosed is a picture of a 1/4 tungsten bar that I ruin while attempting to drill it.

Attachments

• IMG_3730.JPG
    IMG_3730.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 26
Attached you will find a photo of the latest design 105mm U.S. Canister XM1040 for the 105mm Gun on the Stryker, sitting next to a WWII vintage 105 Howitzer canister T-18 from the Pacific theatre, that was rushed into service to stop Japanese mass attacks. The new canister is filled with tungsten balls, and the WWII can is filled with lead balls approximately 1/2 inch in diameter. The current canister is fired from a standard 105 tank gun case.

As orcutteod has said, tungsten is fairly rare, but much more common now than during WWII due to its use in metal cutting tools. Most tungsten is formed into shapes using a powdered metal cintering process due to the extremly high temperatures required to melt it.

Attachments

• 105mm U.S. Canisters.jpg
    105mm U.S. Canisters.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 22