What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

120mm HEAT projectile?

Spaceinvader

Went to the local militaria show this weekend, and met with a friend who had a few ordnance pieces, one of which was this round. Unfortunately these are the only pictures I have of it.

The markings on it say it is a 120mm HEAT round, but the markings do not look original. It is very very light, must weigh less than 5lbs. Has 6 folding fins, which are threaded onto the white portion of the body. Has a time fuze, much like a mortar round. I dont think this is a 120mm tank projectile, it could be a mortar but I dont see the point of having folding fins on a mortar.
My guess is a mis-matched piece made of some type of 120mm HEAT fins, with a 120mm illumination mortar body. Does anyone recognize it? Or tell me anything about it? I dont plan on buying it but would really like to know what it is.
Rhys

Attachments

• 120mm HEAT1.jpg
    120mm HEAT1.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 120mm HEAT2.jpg
    120mm HEAT2.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 120mm HEAT3.jpg
    120mm HEAT3.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 32
ICM stands for Improved Conventional Munition, which means it carries submunitions, most likely the HE-AT style. It looks like some one with no knowledge of color codes relettered a 120mm Mortar Illum body.

U.S. GPS guided 120mm mortar HE rounds have foldout fins, but only the ones with GPS fuzes.

That's what I thought, body and lettering did not match up.
the fuze was just a typical time fuze, nothing special. The fins also had no way to control movement, they folded out and other than that could not move. I would guess they are from another type of round, HEAT maybe?

On the U.S. 120 mortar rounds with fold out fins, the fins only stabilize. The fuze guides the path.

Ah okay I see. This was certainly not one of those.
I cant tell if the two pieces are original to each other, and cant find any mortars like it. What do you think?