What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

120mm japanese navy case - what price?

BOUGAINVILLE

Hi all,

I am in the middle of negotiations to obtain a Japanese Navy 120mm case in mint condition without primer. I already have a Mk1 case percussion primer model 4 that will fit it.

I would like to know what a fair price would be if anyone could give me a few ideas. I thought that maybe somewhere between AUD$100 - 150 would be fair for both myself and the seller which happens to be a second hand dealer. It's was their own, ex New Guinea.

Any ideas much appreciated.:hmmmm2:

Many thanks,
Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

That would be pretty cheap in the US.

Nice find!

People tell me I value things a bit on the high side but I believe an excellent 120mm bottleneck Navy case might be worth up to $300 US. Damage, cleaning, polishing (YIKES!!) reduces the value a bit. A Japanese 127mm case just sold through ebay in late march for $260 plus postage. It had some dings and was heavily tarnished. I wanted to bid but owed $ elsewhere. I know who the buyer is, he has posted a picture of the same ebay bought Japanese Navy 127mm case on this collectors forum.
http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=170&t=9470

The ended ebay auction is over 90 days old and is deleted. I'm looking for a 127mm case. It's a bit shorter than the 120mm cases. I hope you don't have to drill a hole in the side of the case! If you encounter any 127mm's, I'm looking for one.

Again, NICE find.
Jim

Last edited:
I don't chase cases myself, but I've forwarded your question to a colleague that pursues them heavily, I'll give you his response when I get it.

Hi Jim,
Lucky me as it is just down the road from me so it has nothing to do with customs and their hole drilling policy. Thank goodness!! The only thing that stopped me from buying your 37mm round was that I couldn't live with it being mutilated to satisfy the lads at customs. If it was at the beginning of the year before their ignoramus policy change it would've been alright.

I'm surprised at the prices as I'm thinking back a couple of years ago I brought a Japanese Army 150mm case in vgc for AUD$105 at a Australian Cartridge Collectors Auction and would've thought that it would've just have been a wee bit more, not a heap more.

The link directed me to a completely different topic but never the less I searched around and found it. That was also a web site that I wasn't aware of. It will now be in my list of the ones I frequently search for goodies.

Cheers,
Robert

People tell me I value things a bit on the high side but I believe an excellent 120mm bottleneck Navy case might be worth up to $300 US. Damage, cleaning, polishing (YIKES!!) reduces the value a bit. A Japanese 127mm case just sold through ebay in late march for $260 plus postage. It had some dings and was heavily tarnished. I wanted to bid but owed $ elsewhere. I know who the buyer is, he has posted a picture of the same ebay bought Japanese Navy 127mm case on this collectors forum.
http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=170&t=9470

The ended ebay auction is over 90 days old and is deleted. I'm looking for a 127mm case. It's a bit shorter than the 120mm cases. I hope you don't have to drill a hole in the side of the case! If you encounter any 127mm's, I'm looking for one.

Again, NICE find.
Jim

Hi mate,

Yes, the mentioned price is indeed very cheap for such a case, BUT as the seller is perhaps not trained in ordnance prices you may get away with it, and you may even get it for less. You could ask for starters how much they want for the case...

It depends a bit on whether you want to pay collector's prices to the guy, or whether you want to try and get lucky for once by getting a cheap deal. :p

BTW, Jeff: please don't forget my name too when contacting your friend who collects the Jap cases....;)

Cheers!
Olafo

don't hesitate

Hey Robert don't hesitate about getting the case as I might go for a drive this weekend and offer $151.00 LOL

My guy confirms Jim's estimate, he would be happy to pay USD $250-300 for a case in decent condition.

Olafo, are you buying or selling? Send me a PM if you've got a list and I'll pass it on.

The lady wasn't quite sure on the price and is getting her husband to try to find out, she thought about the AUD$400 mark. I have been chasing this casing for over a year now and it is only just now that her husband has agreed to sell it, with me having first option.

I get the idea that the value is between USD$200 - 300.

Maybe I should offer between AUD$200 - 300? as it looks like the AUD$150 that I suggested might not prise it out of her hands.

You must hurry Daryl as they close 12 sharp on Saturdays.:tinysmile_twink_t:

Cheers,
Robert

Many thanks for that. It is in line with what others are saying. I want to be fair to this person just in case they come across anything else. I get the impression that they will not entertain anything less than that.

Many thanks,
Cheers,
Robert

My guy confirms Jim's estimate, he would be happy to pay USD $250-300 for a case in decent condition.

Olafo, are you buying or selling? Send me a PM if you've got a list and I'll pass it on.