What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

120mm projectile ID help needed

phonque

Ordnance approved
hello,
any one out there able to help ID this projectile?
It was found in holland, close to flanders in the 'zeeland' provence, and measures 120mm, has two brass/copper driving bands and a brass/copper bourelet.
It seems to have had a ballistic cap placed over the fuze and the fuze looks german but might as well be french and seems to be made from steel.

Some experts from belgium pointed me in the direction of D.C.A. french munitions (specifically the 75mm dca which looks a lot like this one except it's overall size).

Also there was fluid inside what might suggest chemical loading but then it might not be french because there is no adapter which normally would be expected on calibers larger then 75mm
It might just as well be te case that the fluid got in over time but the projectile seemed pretty well closed and undamaged.

IMG_0806.jpgIMG_0809.jpgIMG_0810.jpgIMG_0811.jpgIMG_0812.jpg

Have you correct dimensions ? Caliber, length to adapter, width of driving bands,...

Yoda

I can not see it but does it has 3 bands, also one in the middle? It looks French regards Ben

Exact Ben, but I don't find something likely in 120 mm caliber !

Phonque, are you sure of your dimensions ?

Yoda

yep, sure about that, i have a lot of people heling me find it but we can not ID it, @ben : indeed there are three band (a pair of driving bands and a bourelet) and that made me think of french ammo aswell, but we cannot find it any where.

The third band (bourelet)also makes me think it is fairly old (max WW2) but the overal impression is more that of a younger type of projectile (with the boat tail and all..)

Bump this thread.
Really looks like a French 105mm model 1936 (AA) damaged.
Big hit on floor after a malfunction in the air.

12 cm

All I can find is the 12 cm Navy on the old drawing you can't see the bourelet very well.
Hope it helps.

Regards Chris

Attachments

• 12 cm BG No 3 en No 6.jpg
    12 cm BG No 3 en No 6.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 39
All I can find is the 12 cm Navy on the old drawing you can't see the bourelet very well.
Hope it helps.

Regards Chris

Brass bourelet Chris.

French typical welded base plate from 30's.
105MM FRENCH 30's.jpg

My theory with 105mm m36 is not very convincing (different details in general shape)

105 m36.jpg

Last edited:
Before posting I made a long search in my files, archives of US-SUBS from Aberdeen. As this museum used to have uncommon nice stuff, I was sure to find it.
I looked too quickly a yellow shell considering it as a French 155mm FATO for export. My mistake. While looking closer, I think it's THE belgian 120mm.

ICE-jb-114-2.JPGICE-jb-114-6.JPG

Last edited: