What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

120mm projectile ID

hello alpini,
i know that the thread of the fuze S/22 is not the same as the E.C.10.
I do know that the EC10 was also designed for light shells.
'm 100% sure that everything belongs together, we had 3 of these.
it is a pity that I have no more pictures of it.
@burney davis:i'm sorry i used your topic,we continue searching for your shell.
grtz joery

Thanks to all for comments so far. @joery, all information and opinions are useful, hopefully we all learn something along the way.

I have been reading with interest all that has been said but have only now been able to get some more pictures. The fuze I put in the top of the shell was of course the EC10 model as I could find no Krupp fuze that I thought would be correct for the shell, If you look at the depth (number of threads) in the picture I cannot find a fuze with that number of threads of that gauge.

DSCN6432.jpg

The next picture is of two types of star shell that I have. You can see the difference in the fuze type. I am not sure if the Dopp ZS/43 or Dopp ZS/26 would be correct (with the percussion element removed as happened on British shells) but I am open to suggestions.

DSCN6433.jpgDSCN6434.jpg

The next pictures are of a 70mm shell, with and without driving band. The yellow paint is original and the projectile is made again by PEW, and of the same type as the 120mm projectile. The St Chamond fuze is not the correct fuze for this shell, it is too loose and does not seat properly and although it has a nose plug I cannot find any fuze that fits it.

DSCN6435.jpgDSCN6436.jpg

So I'm not sure if the above has helped, but I look forward to further comment.

BR

D

Hello,

This thread takes different ways but I'm very interested in your green star shell.
I found one looks like yours years ago in North of France (WW1 battlefields) without fuze (small thread). I know it's a star shell but nothing else (country, era, gun used ??)
Mine had a base diameter around 74mm (not a 7.7cm)
Could you give me more information about your shell and others pictures please ?

Regards.

74mm Leucht.JPG

Last edited:
Hello,

Maybe the beginning of the answer - A diagram (from wk2ammo) of a 75mm made by Schneider Cie for export.

Regards

75%20mm%20French%205.jpg

that one was produced by Schneider for Serbia, with typical Schneider base of that time. It seems to be the same shell, but according to the marking 1915 I don't think these two shells here are Serbian because Serbia was occupied in 1915.

Hello,

Maybe the beginning of the answer - A diagram (from wk2ammo) of a 75mm made by Schneider Cie for export.

Regards

View attachment 99442

That certainly looks like the same type of projectile, 75mm rather than 70mm. I wonder if other pages of the manual that picture came from are available?

I'm sorry I missed your post about the 77mm star shell. What information do you want and I'll start a new thread.

D

that one was produced by Schneider for Serbia, with typical Schneider base of that time. It seems to be the same shell, but according to the marking 1915 I don't think these two shells here are Serbian because Serbia was occupied in 1915.

Not quite sure what you mean here Alpini. Serbia was invaded in October 1915 wasn't it?

you are right - my failure, the remaining Serbian army evacuated to the island of Korfu in 1915. So it could be theoretical possible that they got help from France or Great Britain. It's just the markings which look absolutely not like for Serbian army. All the Serbian imported ammunition which I have seen had cyrillic stamps.

Just one hypothesis - on the base of your 75 mm shell are three letters. I can't see the upper letter perfectly, but with some phantasy could these three letters be the greek letters Pi Zeta and Gamma? Could it be for Greece? Greece had Schneider guns in 75 mm. On the other hand the few greek shells I have seen had a small acceptance stamp with the letters Epsilon + Sigma (Ellenikos Stratos). But if it never reached, the stamp must be missing...

I wonder if PEW is a French factory or more likely British or American? The stamps could be English language.

To bad that the fuzes are all missing, with original fuzes it would be a easy identication task.

Last edited:
That certainly looks like the same type of projectile, 75mm rather than 70mm. I wonder if other pages of the manual that picture came from are available?

I'm sorry I missed your post about the 77mm star shell. What information do you want and I'll start a new thread.

D

Hello,

Could you post other pictures of your green star shell shown above (body, base, driving band, head, fuze, markings, etc...) and dimensions.

Thank you.

Regards