What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

121 fuze

SG500

Premium Member
This was another lucky find at Stoneleigh, a 121 fuze. Always handy to have a spare for that odd fuzeless projectile that has a habit of coming along when you've not got the right fuze!
Dave.

Attachments

• Stoneleigh 31 Jan 10 010.jpg
    Stoneleigh 31 Jan 10 010.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 102
  • Stoneleigh 31 Jan 10 011.jpg
    Stoneleigh 31 Jan 10 011.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 92
Another one but with a difference.

This ones another what I thought was a 121 (same size etc.) but I'm not so sure so am looking for help from the expert fuze collectors please.
The lower movable ring has a completely different profile than a normal 121 and it also has a screw thread on the inside of it. The top bit has a much sharper profile than a normal 121.
It looks like there is a ring missing but if it is it must be a very thin one, the top part doesn't screw down as far as it should but if it did there would only be a few mm for the missing ring.
Any ideas anyone. Other than the severely mangled numbers on the base part there is no marking on this.
Dave.

Attachments

• Odd fuze 001.jpg
    Odd fuze 001.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Odd fuze 002.jpg
    Odd fuze 002.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Odd fuze 003.jpg
    Odd fuze 003.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Odd fuze 005.jpg
    Odd fuze 005.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Odd fuze 006.jpg
    Odd fuze 006.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Odd fuze 004.jpg
    Odd fuze 004.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 40
Hi Dave,

From my official notes,the only one I can see that looks like yours is the No 127 fuze,as this is the only one with a notch cut out of the top cap.

I could be totally wrong as the pics in my docs are line drawings rather than photos!

Cheers,
Andy

This ones another what I thought was a 121 (same size etc.) but I'm not so sure so am looking for help from the expert fuze collectors please.
The lower movable ring has a completely different profile than a normal 121 and it also has a screw thread on the inside of it. The top bit has a much sharper profile than a normal 121.
It looks like there is a ring missing but if it is it must be a very thin one, the top part doesn't screw down as far as it should but if it did there would only be a few mm for the missing ring.
Any ideas anyone. Other than the severely mangled numbers on the base part there is no marking on this.
Dave.

Dave there were couple Vickers designs (precursors to the 120) which might fit the bill. The design numbers were 40092G and 40101G and I think they may be found on early 1 1/2Pr, 2 Pr and 1.57-inch toffee apples. As might Vickers designs 41817G (single ring) and 44243G (double ring), and others, which led to the No 121.

Dave there were couple Vickers designs (precursors to the 120) which might fit the bill. The design numbers were 40092G and 40101G and I think they may be found on early 1 1/2Pr, 2 Pr and 1.57-inch toffee apples. As might Vickers designs 41817G (single ring) and 44243G (double ring), and others, which led to the No 121.

Thanks Norman I don't suppose you have any line drawings of one do you? Such a shame someone went and mangled it.
Dave.

Fuze.

Possibly made to fit an export round for the 2 pdr gun.The lack of Ord arrow is usaully the clue. People forget Vickers sold the gun and ammo abroad.If i could find the post theres another similiar one posted recently with a base fused round.Tig

Hello

Here is a 121Mk II drawing

Attachments

• No121MkIITimeFuze.jpg
    No121MkIITimeFuze.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 93
No 120 Type Fuze

Thanks Norman I don't suppose you have any line drawings of one do you? Such a shame someone went and mangled it.
Dave.

Sorry Dave, I wish I did but alas I have not managed to find these particular Vickers drawings. The 120 type was procured by the Navy and can be found on 2-pr projectiles with a Hotchkiss base fuze. I have seen a few of this configuration (but not many) and from recollection the nose fuzes were all unmarked which as Tig says, is unusual; a rush job perhaps. Doctor found something similar on a Vicker's toffee apple which, if he reads this, he might show us a photo of.

Hi
1 picture N0012 show from left to right the 3 fuzes used on trench mortar 1.75 in and 2 fuzes for 2Pr shell
2 Picture N0013 show zoom of two fuze for 2 Pr shell (no stamping n on left fuze, stamping 121 on right)
3 Picture N0014 zoom of trench fuze

The fuze for 2 Pr shell have no gaine and no security pin on base graduated body.
The first fuze for shell can have the top and body in aluminium , setting ring in brass picture 42

Attachments

• IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 80
Picture 42 & 43 fuze for 2 pr shell

Attachments

• IMG0042.jpg
    IMG0042.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG0043.jpg
    IMG0043.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 48
Hi
1 picture N0012 show from left to right the 3 fuzes used on trench mortar 1.75 in and 2 fuzes for 2Pr shell
2 Picture N0013 show zoom of two fuze for 2 Pr shell (no stamping n on left fuze, stamping 121 on right)
3 Picture N0014 zoom of trench fuze

The fuze for 2 Pr shell have no gaine and no security pin on base graduated body.
The first fuze for shell can have the top and body in aluminium , setting ring in brass picture 42

Thanks Doctor, mine is identical to the one you show in the centre picture on the left. Similar condition too. Any ideas on what type it is?
Dave.

Similar to English Armstrong E Metal Time Fuze;

It is amazing how similar the 121 is to Armstrong's 'E' Metal Time fuze.
What era was the 121 used?
Regards,
John aka Bart

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi SG500$
Hey sorry, because the fuze on the left shell is not good, it's for TM 1.57in and not for shell:tinysmile_eyebrow_t

Hi SG500$
Hey sorry, because the fuze on the left shell is not good, it's for TM 1.57in and not for shell:tinysmile_eyebrow_t

Thanks Doctor, that's great thanks for clarifying that. Does anyone have a TM 1.57in with one of these fuzes they can post a photograph or line drawing of please?
Dave.

Fuze Cmparison;

Thanks Dave. I wonder, does anyone know when the Armstreong E Metal Time Fuze was made obsolete?
Look at Pascal's line drawing and really see the comparison.
Regards,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Dave. I wonder, does anyone know when the Armstreong E Metal Time Fuze was made obsolete?
Look at Pascal's line drawing and really see the comparison.
Regards,
John

John, The Armstrong E Metal Time Fuze was eventually numbered as No. 22 and made obsolete in 1904.
Regards.
Trevor