What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

13.2 m/m x 99, Hotchkiss

Bockscar

Hi Guys,

A bit of help on this one if you please!
The first picture shows a group of four rounds - from left to right they are a .55" Boys, a 12.7 m/m x 81 Breda, a .50"Browning and finally a 13.2 m/m x 99 Hotchkiss (This last one is where I need your help). The next photograph shows the Hotchkiss to the right alongside the .50" and shows well the projectile details. The final photo shows the headstamp on the Hotchkiss and this is where you come in because I have no idea where it originates from! According to Jean Huons book it was manufactured in various countries and utilised by many more, but I cannot find this headstamp in any of my references. Also, any thoughts on the projectile and its brass driving band.

Thanks

Attachments

• SMG-ammo-a.jpg
    SMG-ammo-a.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 83
  • SMG-ammo-c.jpg
    SMG-ammo-c.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 83
  • SMG-ammo-d.jpg
    SMG-ammo-d.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 86
13.2h

Hi Bockscar,
Your 13.2 H cartridge is Swedish , factory which might be Karlsborg . the 13.2 H caliber was used in Swedish air force during WWII , especially on SAAB J22A armed with 2 13.2 MG , J22B with 4 13.2 MG . After the war , this caliber was of course replaced by the .50 BWG. The Belted armor percing bullet is typically scandinavian.
H.A.N.D
phil

Phil,

Thanks for that information. Interestingly enough, the round itself (which I do not own) is actually in Sweden at the moment - I shall get in touch with the owner and let him know the country of its origin!!

Just to add a couple of points:

The 13.2x99 was far more common world-wide than the .50 BMG until WW2. It wasn't just used in Hotchkiss guns but Breda and Brownings as well (converting a .50 Browning to 13.2mm was a simple barrel swap). The Swedish 13.2mm aircraft gun was a Browning, so switching to .50 postwar was simple. The Japanese modified the .50 BMG design the other way, to fire their 13mm Hotchkiss ammo.

Thanks for that additional information Tony, much appreciated - I shall pass this on.
My Swedish friend was surprised to hear about the rounds origin and use( he was thinking more in naval terms) and has promised to look into it more using his connections over there.