What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

13 pdr

Slick

Finally got to dig around in the "good day" (http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/83586-Today-was-a-good-day) lot, to see what all was there. Ran across this fine 13pdr specimen, but am not so sure the bullet that was stuck in the case is appropriate. Many searches have not proven anything, so here are some pics. All I have been able to find are references and pics for PD fuzed projectiles. This one, as you can see, had a base fuze. It is hollow. Maybe APHE of some sort. No markings of any sort, anywhere.

These bigger bullets are outside my "normal" collecting habits, but am giddy about having them. Maybe someone here can give a definitive ID.

Rick

IMG_0277 (1280x816).jpg IMG_0278 (872x1280).jpg IMG_0275 (1280x1260).jpg IMG_0276 (1280x960).jpg

Rick,

You definitely have a 13 Pdr case, but I'm thinking your projectile is a U.S. Navy 3 inch. 13 Pdrs are 3 inch diameter, so an enterprising former owner has most likely done a bit of cross breeding. A high percentage of the U.K. Pdr projectiles have the Pdr size imprinted on the base of the projo, and your bullet looks spot-on for a U.S. Navy one, especially the band.

Is there any info stamped on the base of your bullet?

I agree with Haz, your case is a necked down 18 Pr to fit a 13 Pdr for AA use. Everything about the projectile says U.S.
I had a complete one some years ago, 13 Pr well marked projectile and #80 fuze.

Last edited:
Rick,

What you have there is a 13pr 9cwt as opposed to 13pr QF which was/still is used by horse drawn artillery. Your round was introduced as an anti-aircraft weapon and as I understand it, was a necked down 18pr case to fire a 13pr projectile. As John states if it was a British projectile, one would expect it to be covered in markings. Also, as an AA projectile one would expect it to use a nose time fuze like the No.80.

Tim

Thanks to all. And I agree, as originally suspected, the bullet is wrong for the case :-(
Still searching the USN links, looking for a positive ID.