What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

13 pounder query

SG500

Premium Member
Just a question:-

Does the 13pr 9cwt anti aircraft round (necked down 18 pounder case) take the same projectile as the 13 pounder field gun round (straight sided case)?

Thanks,

Dave.

Morning Dave,

Yes, as far as i'm aware the 13pdr 9cwt fired a standard 13pdr shrapnel shell. The history if i'm correct is that the 13pdr had already been made into an Anti Aircraft gun relatively successfully, so they thought they would try the same thing with the 18pdr. But the ballistics of the 18pdr meant it didnt work well. So someone had the idea of relining an 18pdr gun to 3in calibre and using an 18pdr case necked down to fire a 13pdr shell.

Ben.

13 pounder 001.jpg13 pounder 004.jpg13 pounder 005.jpg13 pounder 002.jpg13 pounder 003.jpgRESULT!
Got one.
A bit outside my field of collecting but OK all the same, its fired but must have been picked up the same day judging by the condition of it.
INERT etc.
Dave.

Nice looking shell Dave :) I've been looking for a good condition 13pdr for a while with no luck, good find! Ben.

Hi Dave,

That's a very "tasty" 13 pdr round you have there!

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Drew

Thanks guys, these things pop out of the woodwork when you least expect it.
Dave.