What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

13 Pr Mk II Case length?

starshell

Premium Member
Good morning,

I have a tatty 13Pr MkII case, straight walled, for the 13Pr field gun which measures 311mm Rim to case mouth. I also have another identical case, Mk II, which is about an inch shorter, and in superb condition.
I suspect its been cut down, but just wanted to check before I move it on. Did 13Pr cases vary in size for straight walled examples? Whoever had cut this case did a very fine job.
(I have AA gun examples).

Many thanks for any info!

I also have 76,2x313DR92 for any type of 13 Pr (type I, II and III).

I am not aware of a type IV, can anybody verify it exists? Hawkinsons list has a significant amount of mistakes. I do know of the 13 Pr 9 CWT, it exists as type I, II, II and IV, but that case measures 76,2x295DR103 and is a different one.

Good morning,

I have a tatty 13Pr MkII case, straight walled, for the 13Pr field gun which measures 311mm Rim to case mouth. I also have another identical case, Mk II, which is about an inch shorter, and in superb condition.
I suspect its been cut down, but just wanted to check before I move it on. Did 13Pr cases vary in size for straight walled examples? Whoever had cut this case did a very fine job.
(I have AA gun examples).

Many thanks for any info!
A thought crossed my mind. A troop of 13 pdr field guns are still in use for certain ceremonial events, at which they fire blanks, of course. That could be the origin of the new-looking one?

13 pdr:

Hawkinson does list a MK 1, also with a 312mm case.

Many thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
Thanks Tony for the suggestion of possible use of a ceremonial blank...that hadn't crossed my mind.
Happy Xmas to all!