What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

14 X 114 What is it?

SG500

Premium Member
The attached photos show a .60 cal (15.2 x 114) next to a .60/.50 (12.7 x 114) next to a case. The case measures .55 (14 x 114).

The 2 complete rounds are well documented rounds.

I have never heard of the intermediate version.

It is definitely not a .50 or a .60, a .60 projectile won't even think about fitting in it and a .50 projectile just falls inside with ease.

The headstamp is FA 44

The diameters of all the bases of the cases are the same size i.e. 29.5mm.

Does anyone have any further information on this variation? I can't find it listed in any of the cartridge lists that I have.

All INERT (holes drilled in the back etc.)

Dave.

Attachments

• 2 July 09 001.jpg
    2 July 09 001.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 2 July 09 002.jpg
    2 July 09 002.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 41
Have any of you guys from the US heard of this one? Did they expt with different case diameters when developing the 60cal for anti tank etc??
Dave.

Ok, I have been doing some reading..... I dug into the history of modern U.S. small arms ammunition by Hackley and Woodin.

Based on your measurements I believe you have a "Fired" .60/50 cartridge case. This would explain the larger neck size and why the .50 cartridge falls in.

There is no other mention of any ".55" experimentation at all let alone with a .60 case.

The case dimensions are listed as follows:

Neck Dia. - .570" - 14.48mm
Length. - 4.487" - 114mm
Head Dia. - 1.153" - 29.29mm
Rim Dia. - 1.161" - 29.49mm

just my 2 cents....:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Hi MissingSomething, thanks for reading up on it. A fired case is an idea I hadn't considered.
I'll have to e mail Bill and see if he's got one, if I come up with something I'll let you know.
Dave.

Off hand the "FA 44" seems to me to be Frankford Arsenal, 1944. I know they manufactured .50 cal ammo and did a wide range of testing on multiple calibers to include the .60 cal. but since small arms isn't something that I deal with, I'll leave it at that.

Guys, I may well have confused things a bit with my first photo. I had always assumed the steel cased round in the middle was a 50/60 but having studied the photo its obvious the case length is NOT 114mm. Its more like 119mm!!!!!!!!! In addition its not got a headstamp.

So back to the books and it appears that it may be the 12.7 X 119 Amron from the 1970's, a much rarer round altogether!! Its certainly the right size and is made of steel instead of brass, it also has the usual Amron type finish I've seen on various 20mm and 23mm that they make. I hate getting stuff like this wrong but its nice to end up with a rarer round that you thought. Does anyone have such an Amron round to confirm if my idea is correct?

Attached a few pictures of it. The round is inert, primer oiled etc.

Dave.

Attachments

• 7 July 09 001.jpg
    7 July 09 001.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 7 July 09 002.jpg
    7 July 09 002.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 7 July 09 003.jpg
    7 July 09 003.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 15
Sooooo.... The empty case is......._______________!

And the steel cased round is now the mystery???

Jeesh Dave.... way to confuse us simple folk :tinysmile_cry_t4:

Sooooo.... The empty case is......._______________!

And the steel cased round is now the mystery???

Jeesh Dave.... way to confuse us simple folk :tinysmile_cry_t4:

Mmmmm that's why I don't really have much small calibre stuff in my collection, a few millimetres difference in a case length is a bit difficult for me. I've had the steel cased round for about 10 years and only noticed the difference in case length when I looked at the photo after I'd posted it on the forum.........so am now looking for a 50/60.
Dave

Guys, I may well have confused things a bit with my first photo. I had always assumed the steel cased round in the middle was a 50/60 but having studied the photo its obvious the case length is NOT 114mm. Its more like 119mm!!!!!!!!! In addition its not got a headstamp.

So back to the books and it appears that it may be the 12.7 X 119 Amron from the 1970's, a much rarer round altogether!! Its certainly the right size and is made of steel instead of brass, it also has the usual Amron type finish I've seen on various 20mm and 23mm that they make. I hate getting stuff like this wrong but its nice to end up with a rarer round that you thought. Does anyone have such an Amron round to confirm if my idea is correct?

Attached a few pictures of it. The round is inert, primer oiled etc.

Dave.

Dont you just hate it when you find that a rare round you have is even rarer than you first thought !:sad:

How do you keep coming up with all these lovely "Hens teeth" rounds Dave ?

I had some good luck with this one Chris.
I looked it up in the Buttweiler catalogue and they have a case in there that was for sale a few years ago. Apparently 100 cases were made so there could be some more about...........possibly........if they've not all been chucked in the sea or melted down!!?

Dave.