What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

17 pdr anti-tank gun

rnixartillery

Hi all, I've seen that there is discussion ongoing regarding 17 pdr projectiles so I thought I would share a few pictures of the 17 pdr I have in my collection. Enjoy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• Picture 468.jpg
    Picture 468.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Picture 469.jpg
    Picture 469.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Picture 457.jpg
    Picture 457.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Picture 458.jpg
    Picture 458.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 62
  • Picture 455.jpg
    Picture 455.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 64
Wow, and what stunning condition it is too... I'd love to see an APDS round being loaded :)

I assume its deactivated...if so hows that done on the 17pdr?

Thanks for sharing, what other gems do you have?
Rich

Hello Rich
Yes ,the Gun is de-activated the Secretary of State spec which consists of three stages ; a 2" x 1/2" cut into the Breech ring ,a plug with a minimum width of 1/2" which is welded into the breech end of the barrel and finaly the breech block has to be scored where the firing pin strikes.
The Gun is quite a rare beast in private hands so sourcing the associated tools and equipment is an ongoing search.In one of the pics you can see the sight assembly which I obtained from a colleague last year,its previous owner was the Iraqi national guard and was liberated from the last gulf war campaign,so you can see parts are sourced from all over the world.
I do have a growing collection of Artillery which I will share in time to come!!!!!
Rob

Very impressive pictures. Where did the actual 17pdr come from before you added it to your collection?

Hello Rich
I do have a growing collection of Artillery which I will share in time to come!!!!!
Rob

Excellent news Rob.....I can't wait:dancing:

Just as part of the build up have you any German stuff?

PC

Could this gun not be held on an FAC? It seems such a waste that these guns have to be butchered to own them.

I don't suppose he asked the Iraqi national guard before he took their sight assembly.

Last edited:
It is becoming harder and harder to own these pieces as live artillery these days and its probably worth the struggle with the authorities if you own one Gun,however when you run into double figures it is so much easier and alot less a headach to de-activate them. It is a sacrifice I know but if that is what it takes to collect this type thing ,so be it !
PS The Iraqi national Guard gave me there blessing.
Rob